Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    I never could get used to the leather pads. Still have my Brooks with a 1/4 twist and leather straps. Lower straps around the boots only not around the shank of the hook, and upper straps no pads, just cinched tight. That is the way I found them to be the most comfortable. A 50+ year old lineman that I worked for showed me this when I was starting out in 1970. Am I dating my self?
    So you are saying only upper straps....no padding up there...never heard of that.Now I have.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    So you are saying only upper straps....no padding up there...never heard of that.Now I have.
    Yes Sir And it is actually more comfortable than pads. 8 hours in the hooks and only a little chaffing on the front shin.

Yes Sir And it is actually more comfortable than pads. 8 hours in the hooks and only a little chaffing on the front shin.
    I dont want to talk about the lineman I saw climb without boots,back in the 80s when I was a helper....still hurts thinking about it.

Ummm I tried climbn in tennis shoes once ONCE

Blog Entries

you out must have some tough calves......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    you out must have some tough calves......
    Not Really. With the 1/4 twist in the shank of the hooks they lay flat against the calf, and the lower strap just around the boot the hook tends to float a bit up the calf making them more comfortable than it sounds. You do need a good boot with a decent heel, and no running shoes won't work. When I started climbing I was taught by older lineman, and the only hooks they would use were Brooks so comfort is all relative.

I never could get used to the leather pads. Still have my Brooks with a 1/4 twist and leather straps. Lower straps around the boots only not around the shank of the hook, and upper straps no pads, just cinched tight. That is the way I found them to be the most comfortable. A 50+ year old lineman that I worked for showed me this when I was starting out in 1970. Am I dating my self?
    I also use no pads__just straps. As a young AP my feet would go to sleep immediately while on a pole. One foreman I had noticed and asked about why I was always shaking my feet and such. I told him I just figured everyone's feet hurt like that and he made me use his rigging on my next climb. No pads, just straps. My feet never went to sleep again. Apparently, he, as well as I, have nerves run in odd places that pads seem to pinch on. After quite the dressing down over why I put myself thru all the agony, I replied that no one likes a whiner__he took me under his wing and the rest as they say is history.

8. Default

I'm a second year apprentice. My gear is just your regular klein hooks with leather pads. Ive tried other guys fancy aluminum shanks, velcro pads, velcro pads with steel inserts. I don't like them at all. Yes the couple miles of 3 phase took some hide off my legs. I just have a scar and no hair where my pads rub, but I can tie in all day and nothing hurts now. And I wear 10" hoffman dri-line boots. I havent seen too many guys wear 6" boots. Mostly the trouble guys.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    With the velcro pads that they make today, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to use leather L pads or pear pads anymore. In my opinion more importantly than the height of the boots is whats in the soles and shank, go ahead and spend the money to buy you a good pair of climbing boots.
    true statement. I have old school klein hooks with leather L pads and thin straps. I was drooling looking at the apprentices with titanium climbers and nice thick velcro pads.

Default I wear my boots like gene Simmons

Featured Sponsorr

My boots are 48 in hers with a lace able cod piece. Because I am too **** cool.