1. Default Good way to pull poles

Featured Sponsor

Does anybody have a good way to pull poles

A good strong line truck.

A pole cat, or hydraulic pole puller. Basically a hydraulic ram that you chain to the base of the pole, used in conjunction with the line truck. It has a base plate the cylinder sets on, and a steel wedge with teeth that grip the pole underneath the chain. Cuts down on wear and abuse of the line truck, but heavy and time consuming, it usually will pull the pole out about 6 - 12" at a time, ten you need to retract the ram and drive the wedge down with a maul. Should be able to find them in most line tool catalogs.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tramp67 View Post
    A pole cat, or hydraulic pole puller. Basically a hydraulic ram that you chain to the base of the pole, used in conjunction with the line truck. It has a base plate the cylinder sets on, and a steel wedge with teeth that grip the pole underneath the chain. Cuts down on wear and abuse of the line truck, but heavy and time consuming, it usually will pull the pole out about 6 - 12" at a time, ten you need to retract the ram and drive the wedge down with a maul. Should be able to find them in most line tool catalogs.
    Tramp:
    I was just spit balling on the pole pulling. Actually I invented a pole puller of my own but am having a terrible time getting any interest in it. The nuts and bolts of my idea is hands off, machine does all the work (digger truck). Thanks, Bo
    Last edited by Fire starter; 09-02-2014 at 11:02 PM.

dynamite
    engineers aren,t god,s

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tramp67 View Post
    What He said.....^^^^^
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Sand easy clay hard

If it's all clay get some bind out by digging a side. When you pull with the truck, alternate the choker. If you got a pole puller, put it opposite side of the choker strain. Or do the same with a simplex jack. If you are in the backyard, your going have to dig it out in clay.

if it's sand or good dirt beat it with a sledge while pulling it with a truck. It breaks that clay glue. One good hit will bump it up an inch. The next hit will bump it even more. It takes the bind out of gluey clay. Once you got some air below the but it will come right out unless it's a bell butt.

Featured Sponsorr

saw it off 6" below groundline. The next crew that has to replace the pole can pull the old pole and have a hole ready to go.
    Harley

Eligible to retire at anytime – when it quits being fun I’m gone