Default Any additional trades/skills useful to line work?

Featured Sponsor

I'm a new apprentice. My company offers tuition reimbursement. I'm wondering which trade/technical courses I could take that would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by diver View Post
    I'm a new apprentice. My company offers tuition reimbursement. I'm wondering which trade/technical courses I could take that would be useful.
    Learn everything that you can....these days they will get rid of you at anytime.No job is secure anymore....those days R long gone.

Ummm I have known several guys that found learning to pull a vacum was helpful In fact a few of em could pull a 30lb vaccum on an onion sack

I am going to buckle down and get my sweeping and schlepping certificate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummm I have known several guys that found learning to pull a vacum was helpful In fact a few of em could pull a 30lb vaccum on an onion sack
    Lmfao..... Yup, I've know a few of those guys too......!!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

6. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by diver View Post
    If you've had no formal training at all, you should get some. I started in this business trusting that my employer would provide sufficient training alone. In my case, I soon found out that the crew was at least 25 years behind on modern safety methods. They paid for me to take the "distance" learning course at Northwest Linemans College. It's 4 modules of ten books each and there is a wealth of information in them. You get tested on each book. As a matter of fact, I took two exams today in the second module.

I've shown the books to guys that do training for a major east coast utility and they were impressed with the depth of the course.

I am a firm believer of "knowledge is power" and the more you know, the safer you can work and the further you can progress in your chosen field.

Good luck and stay safe!