Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Featured Sponsor

Doing a straight insulator change or going to a higher pole is easier safer and just as fast with stick and jib, with K-line insulators with there K clamp and an all angle cog as it is rubber gloving probably even faster. The thing is that some people only want to rubber glove because they have never been exposed to stick work. At the end of the day it is another tool to have, but some jobs will always be easier rubber gloving.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    Doing a straight insulator change or going to a higher pole is easier safer and just as fast with stick and jib, with K-line insulators with there K clamp and an all angle cog as it is rubber gloving probably even faster. The thing is that some people only want to rubber glove because they have never been exposed to stick work. At the end of the day it is another tool to have, but some jobs will always be easier rubber gloving.
    AND safer...Rubber Glovin.
    I'll put this out as a comparison. "Back in the day", most cars were Stick Shifts. Then came the "Automatic"...Everybody went nuckin futs!!! NOWDAYS...lot of people want to have a "Stick Shift"...and guess what...."OK"!!! Cost ya like twice the money of an Automatic! Glovin up to 24.5, is Safe, if ya conduct yourself like the Lineman you are suppose to be.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default I not going to convince anyone who's mind is set like concrete

There is somebody who will always be willing to do it for less.

Remember had a foreman who wanted a one shot. It was changing a middle arm on a four circuit pole. Transmission, 12 kv and 2400 2 circuits. The middle circuit was at a hard angle, maybe 60 degrees, 4/0 copper, double cob arm, not dead ended. Pretty risky. So my foreman asked management for a one shot. The next day someone did the job and called my foreman a possy.

same crew did a similar job a month later. And everything went to hell. A lot of fires and locked out circuits.

we keep pushing the envelope. And we are getting younger and younger in the industry. And more ego everyday I heard 30 lineman have passed this year. So isn't it time to rethink about the work we do.

the stick states, electrical contact might be hot poles or hot trucks, induction. .. Not with being in the middle of phases with arresters and ground everywhere. Nobody is inserting all this equipment on insets.They are jamming all this equipment on old poles. It's getting more risky.

there always be a yahoo who will do it. I wouldn't say they are unsafe. But there is a lot of hazards that you can't see. I would say 10 times this year alone I pulled off armor rod at a pin and there was just the steel, no strands. Or somebody torqued down kerneys on solid copper and they fatigued it to where you move it a little it will break. Chance cutout that break in half when you touch them.

its time to rethink things and how we do things. Because there is always be someone willing to do anything and any job. As soon as these young guys put on these rubber gloves and sleeves they think they are supermen.

If they were taught another way where they aren't in the bight all the time is that wrong?

Everyone is preaching safety, safety, safety but a lot of the systems are garbage. Most of the systems I have worked on are still have the majority running on original structures, pre World War Two or World War One.

the utilities don't have real sharp tacks running them like competitive companies. No one is from Harvard. MIT or Stanford. The management is from colleges where you can walk straight and have a check book, you can get a degree. It's a club. If you are good at politics, you win.

all of the risk is on the lineman. When you in process to a company you sign your name to a telephone book size application. It's an environment where you have to gorilla something instead of getting the right equipment. If you screw up, get injured, it will be your fault! I think I spend 50 bucks a week on gofundme sites with injured lineman who can't pay their bills because of injury. And the injuries were accidents that any normal man could happened to them. Some unforeseen possibility on some contrived rigging because they had to over improvise, because they didn't have a proper and designed device for the task. Because we never do!

Just end the bull**** and and go to sticking!
    And get out of the bight!

Your right ....Im not convinced....to prevent circuit lock-outs ,maybe covering more would help....you must remember we are all lineman and do what lineman do....that includes gloving primary....if a guy thinks that cant be done safely he may be in the wrong trade....there is always walmart,McDonalds,Payless shoes,and plenty of doughnut shops....and if pizza is your thing,im sure they need more drivers.....but thats just my opinion Mr.boboo.

Default All valid points !

Bobbo....Nice to see there are still people out there that care. You've made a valid argument for sure. Irish Bren and Bigclive will tell you the safest way is to kill it. Work nothing hot. It's the law over there !
    We have OSHA laws here now... Maybe they're not enough. Maybe the training programs today aren't what they once were. I say that because we have thousands of Lineman out there working on hot distribution everyday (sometimes in bad conditions) and they'll all tell you what they are doing is safe. They are confident in their training and skills. Like any profession some are better than others.
    Our industry is certainly due for some type of upgrade, that I am sure of ( I think we are the only guys left using an adjustable wrench)... I've heard many times from the younger generation , " You guys haven't come up with any thing better than this!!"... You can apply that to most things we do out there.
    So we all should be out there looking for better ways and safer ways of doing Linework. That's a start ! Be safe.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default Auto arm between adjacent poles

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    There is somebody who will always be willing to do it for less.

Remember had a foreman who wanted a one shot. It was changing a middle arm on a four circuit pole. Transmission, 12 kv and 2400 2 circuits. The middle circuit was at a hard angle, maybe 60 degrees, 4/0 copper, double cob arm, not dead ended. Pretty risky. So my foreman asked management for a one shot. The next day someone did the job and called my foreman a possy.

same crew did a similar job a month later. And everything went to hell. A lot of fires and locked out circuits.

we keep pushing the envelope. And we are getting younger and younger in the industry. And more ego everyday I heard 30 lineman have passed this year. So isn't it time to rethink about the work we do.

the stick states, electrical contact might be hot poles or hot trucks, induction. .. Not with being in the middle of phases with arresters and ground everywhere. Nobody is inserting all this equipment on insets.They are jamming all this equipment on old poles. It's getting more risky.

there always be a yahoo who will do it. I wouldn't say they are unsafe. But there is a lot of hazards that you can't see. I would say 10 times this year alone I pulled off armor rod at a pin and there was just the steel, no strands. Or somebody torqued down kerneys on solid copper and they fatigued it to where you move it a little it will break. Chance cutout that break in half when you touch them.

its time to rethink things and how we do things. Because there is always be someone willing to do anything and any job. As soon as these young guys put on these rubber gloves and sleeves they think they are supermen.

If they were taught another way where they aren't in the bight all the time is that wrong?

Everyone is preaching safety, safety, safety but a lot of the systems are garbage. Most of the systems I have worked on are still have the majority running on original structures, pre World War Two or World War One.

the utilities don't have real sharp tacks running them like competitive companies. No one is from Harvard. MIT or Stanford. The management is from colleges where you can walk straight and have a check book, you can get a degree. It's a club. If you are good at politics, you win.

all of the risk is on the lineman. When you in process to a company you sign your name to a telephone book size application. It's an environment where you have to gorilla something instead of getting the right equipment. If you screw up, get injured, it will be your fault! I think I spend 50 bucks a week on gofundme sites with injured lineman who can't pay their bills because of injury. And the injuries were accidents that any normal man could happened to them. Some unforeseen possibility on some contrived rigging because they had to over improvise, because they didn't have a proper and designed device for the task. Because we never do!

Just end the bull**** and and go to sticking!
    And get out of the bight!

Unclip two structures. Auto arm the phases. Replace two poles instead of one on the clear. Seen it.

Par a ruses them for highline now. But I have seem them in distribution. And I have seem them hold dead ends.

Then there would be now kneed to go higher all the time.

You out really don't need an auto arm, you can put a tong and saddle set up on a bucket, digger, or on a pole. Pretty universal to whatever situation your in.