Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Bring back stick!

Featured Sponsor

AB chance use to have lineman too instruct sticking and you could do anything with that wire with that catalog. With the jibs put warheads on them. If we brought sticking back we would go to less funerals. Look all the construction is getting tighter and higher voltages, more equipment requiring grounds on the pole. Let's just go back to sticks! It would take five to ten years to get every one trained but it would mean not taking collections for injured and going to a lot less funerals. And the sad thing is these companies probably require gloves and sleeves while your below the secondary clipping with an eight foot stick.

There is nothing wrong with gloving primary,cover what needs to be covered.Obey the safety rules.Have experienced lineman.It doesnt take long to learn sticking,classes are good but aint the real deal.Besides.....even if everyone were to stick,there would be some that would take short cuts and glove anyway.I wish that I was wrong,but Im afraid funerals are here to stay.And it doesnt have to be that way.We seem to be burying ourselves with these accidents that have no business happening in the first place.Being your brothers keeper is a great idea.....sometimes I wonder who is doing the watching on some jobs....is it a real Jy or is it a Jy that has his eyes on his phone that has all kinds of apps?

I am all for bringing back sticks, less funerals for sure! If the work can't be done with a stick kill it! The only thing that we should have to rubber glove is services, in a municipal setting. Go a step further , take the rubber gloves away except for class '0' and teach guys how to rely on voltmeters and potential indicators, and grounds. I have rubber gloved most of my career and hotsticked for a few years, don't get me wrong a properly trained and competent journeyman can rubber glove very safely, but a lot of the younger guys are having a hard time understanding second points of contact or even the need to rubber the neutral when it is up on an arm with the primary.

Could it be that we are replacing "competent" with "qualified"?The two are not the same.In my neck of the woods,it takes a guy with a degree in engineering four years of internship before he can be registered to practice as an engineer.Men are trained and become qualified but need more exposure to situations that can arise while actually on the job.Could it be that employers want to fast track persons to get work done?I have been seeing a lot of accidents from you guys and I am really lost as to why they happen as your regulations seem very comprehensive.Can I have a few opinions?

Rubber glove work is here to stay and I think most would agree with that. Having said that stick work is a great tool. If I am doing a straight insulator change I will just stick and jib it, much easier faster and safer than gloving, but some jobs like cutting in or sleeving out switches or making taps is much easier with gloves.

Default I would rather be at the end of a stick on a 90 degree day

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    Rubber glove work is here to stay and I think most would agree with that. Having said that stick work is a great tool. If I am doing a straight insulator change I will just stick and jib it, much easier faster and safer than gloving, but some jobs like cutting in or sleeving out switches or making taps is much easier with gloves.
    I am seriously think of heading to the stick states. It would be a lot better in extremely hot and cold days. Just doing my thing in a shirt and harness. Gloves and sleeves gets real old.

if you have the right sticks you can do anything. And doing it everyday you get proficient. It takes a lot more teamwork sticking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    I am seriously think of heading to the stick states. It would be a lot better in extremely hot and cold days. Just doing my thing in a shirt and harness. Gloves and sleeves gets real old.

if you have the right sticks you can do anything. And doing it everyday you get proficient. It takes a lot more teamwork sticking.
    No doubt sticking is much safer than direct handling. 1967 was the year gloving came to our property and was phased in over a few years. Unfortunately we've suffered a few fatalities since 67. Only one involved gloving primary and the injured lineman removed his gloves to light a smoke......

employers today want more with less, they ain't gonna staff properly for the jobs. No,way I'll,ever see sticks return in my time........
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Like it or not its the utilities that set the standard in our industry They dictate the level of manpower and the rules they work by. Most are woefully understaffed and not entirely satisfied with daily production there is no way they will ever allow a slower approach such as hotsticking to further slow that production down. Yes they preach safety from both sides of their corporate mouths but they wont put the money where the mouths are.

I agree Poot,theys dont want anything to slow production down,then theres the underground issue....would it mean that no gloving anything?Would it mean killing secondaries on urd before doing any work.I mean really,look at all the accidents and how many were killed because of a guy wearing rubber gloves,the fatalities are because of stupid short-cuts,human error,ect.Lots of deaths are induction related,improper covering,rules not being followed,apparently not well trained lineman.I just dont see it happening either.A lineman without rubber gloves is like a baseball player with-out a bat....then again ,I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Like it or not its the utilities that set the standard in our industry They dictate the level of manpower and the rules they work by. Most are woefully understaffed and not entirely satisfied with daily production there is no way they will ever allow a slower approach such as hotsticking to further slow that production down. Yes they preach safety from both sides of their corporate mouths but they wont put the money where the mouths are.
    Slower approach?? If you're slower with sticks you're doing something wrong...gloves have they're place for sure but if your skilled with sticks then they are just an extension of your own fingers, and from my own experience the job is completed with sticks before you're done covering everything up for gloves in most cases...Again gloves have they're advantages in certain situations you can't argue that...it's fairly impressive watching an experienced stick crew, can't say the same for gloving sorry lol...we have the option for either here, gloved lots but we still stick more..