Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Thanks again, y'all. Much appreciated. I'm really excited.

2. Default

I'm in my apprenticeship now and my advice is.
    Don't walk, run. Don't say "I know." And you and what ever truck your assigned to should be ready to go when you start getting paid.
    Congrats man!

3. Default

If you are climbing, have steel shank climbing boots. PAY ATTENTION. No question is stupid. Good luck!

Default Advice from Apprentice

I started my IBEW Apprenticeship this year. Be aware of the mindset of the older Journeymen and Foremen. A lot of the old timers still have very abrasive personalities towards Apprentices. A lot of it has to do with the fact that so many are being pushed through. It clearly has decreased the quality of hands in their eyes. Truth be told, I can see why. I guess the moral to this paragraph is this. Show up and bust your hump every day. If there isn't anything for you to do directly related to the task of the day then you best be cleaning every truck that keeps you within distance to take your next order . In a sense, you have a lot to prove to these guys. After all in a few years the lives of crew members will be in your hands. It's nothing to be taken lightly. Welcome to the trade, and stay safe my friend! Oh, one more thing! Don't forget to love what you do, it's a part of your blood now.

Default mY advice

Ask questions,if you dont understand ask again,have a lineman point out what he is talking about.Once you understand one aspect,ask questions about other things,transformers,caps,fusing,grounding,ect...no lineman knows it all,the trade is done differently in different places.Rules in one place may not be a rule in others.Wiring transformers is easy with enough practice and experience....piece of cake.

6. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Know your truck inside and out, carry a pen and paper for awhile so when you use something off the truck write it down so you know to replace it. Keep your truck stocked, clean, and ready to roll. Look ahead at what your lineman will need. Learn knots! Stay busy don't be standing around if a lineman has a shovel and you don't take the shovel from him. Show em you are willing to work, learn, and listen.