Default Got a question for bren

Featured Sponsor

Read that your transformers carry whole neighborhoods not like here, a transformer may have seven to ten customers. When you guys plug in generators you pick up whole neighborhoods?

And me since your secondary voltage is a lot higher, 230v to our 120v your secondary system is longer I am guessing. If our can go only 800 feet.

What is the set up of a normal distribution system there? And do you guys work anything hot?

Default Sorry bobbo

Sorry late in replying. I've been on a bike trip for three days.

We do as little as possible hot over here. But having said that I'm doing a lv. .( as ya say ..240 volts ) course in a couple of weeks.

the bigger towns use several transformers that are all phased the same to feed the L.V. Network.
    Most country places have one or two consumers per single phase tranny .. Depending on load required. Some farmers need bigger 3 phase units to supply milking machines etc etc. we install transformers as per the customers requirements.
    Hope that helps ( a bit. ).
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default How far can you feed with 240

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Sorry late in replying. I've been on a bike trip for three days.

We do as little as possible hot over here. But having said that I'm doing a lv. .( as ya say ..240 volts ) course in a couple of weeks.

the bigger towns use several transformers that are all phased the same to feed the L.V. Network.
    Most country places have one or two consumers per single phase tranny .. Depending on load required. Some farmers need bigger 3 phase units to supply milking machines etc etc. we install transformers as per the customers requirements.
    Hope that helps ( a bit. ).
    i am just making a guess, you should be able to go twice as far to keep legal voltage. 1600 feet. I don't know if there is square roots in that equation. For us that would be the length of the block. We have to split load probably every 700 feet, then the length of the last customer fed. That's NESC but I have seen a lot of places don't follow any rules and reason sometimes. I put twelve customers on one pole, my neutral spool was filled with performs and I had three foot on my legs and 4 on my nuetral. One can fed a whole city block. Doubt if it was legal.

Default I think....

It's about 700m from memory when I was discussing it a few weeks ago with a project engineer.

Individual services are a maximum of 42 metres in Eastern UK (from the main)

All at 240/400 volts.

As Bren said, the transformers are phased together which allows for link boxes between different LV supplies - makes it easy to re-feed sections during faults or maintenance.

Stu

Default That's 1400 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by stulittle View Post
    It's about 700m from memory when I was discussing it a few weeks ago with a project engineer.

Individual services are a maximum of 42 metres in Eastern UK (from the main)

All at 240/400 volts.

As Bren said, the transformers are phased together which allows for link boxes between different LV supplies - makes it easy to re-feed sections during faults or maintenance.

Stu
    1400 ft. That's definitely a whole city block and more. 3 kva per home. So of you put one 50 kva and feed a whole block if you wanted. Here half a city block at most.

Default My question Is

Ok Mr.Bren and friends across the big pond...heres my question:You may have mentioned this subject before,and I may have over-looked.But anyway.....Us guys on this side of the pond have many fatalities due to induction,matter of fact its almost common to read about another death concerning induction.When was the last time a lineman on that side of the pond,died from induction.Has it been years/how often?

Default Over

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Ok Mr.Bren and friends across the big pond...heres my question:You may have mentioned this subject before,and I may have over-looked.But anyway.....Us guys on this side of the pond have many fatalities due to induction,matter of fact its almost common to read about another death concerning induction.When was the last time a lineman on that side of the pond,died from induction.Has it been years/how often?
    Well over 20 years. ( WE LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES)
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !