Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Checked my " Land rover bucket truck" it says do not operate over 12.5 miles per second ( what ever that means ).
    Are you sure that's not metres per second? Because 12.5 miles a second would be awesome.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default We've had the opposite problem here

If management tells the crews that we are going to wait until the weather event is done, the linemen complain that you're trying to take overtime away from them.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

We've been sent out in hurricanes, blizzards and just about any type of weather event and for the most part the guys might have given it the old college try, but if it was really dicey they stayed in the truck and waited for it to clear. Once in a while management would keep people in the building till the event blew over but as time goes on I think it just was to stop the trucks from getting tore up not a concern for the troops.

Default You go to some places and it's different

I see it as this if you put a blanket on and if it flies to the next county, you need to do something else.

if you are doing transmission and you can't steady a 125 with the wind you need to do something else.

i really don't think you need a policy just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    I see it as this if you put a blanket on and if it flies to the next county, you need to do something else.

if you are doing transmission and you can't steady a 125 with the wind you need to do something else.

i really don't think you need a policy just common sense.
    Thank you, common sense some have it, some don't.

12.5 meters per second would be about 28 MPH.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Default Why carnies will climb it if they can't use the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by wudwlkr View Post
    12.5 meters per second would be about 28 MPH.
    We don't get paid if there is a shutdown. And if you shut down the buckets we got to climb it we are not utility. We have to work to take care of our families. If some dude shuts us down and not pay us, we are screwed. Good gfs will pay a straight 8 or pay your motels. When you post stuff, utility guys have it a lot better.

That is a huge problem, utility guys no understanding contract work. When it comes to work or not get paid, we will work in almost any weather, but still use common sense. A really good GF will always have jobs that can be done when its to bad to fly buckets. Material to be made up , or returned , scrap to be disposed of , equipment that needs to be maintained, etc. Utility guys just collect their 40 hours rain or shine, and sometimes they get some work done too! Don't get your knickers in a knot fellas , I did 10 years in utilities before I went contracting. Its a job that needs to be done and it takes a certain breed of fella to do it!

9. Default

Thanks for all the answers! I'm laughing at one post because after we complained about be ordered out in the middle of Sandy to fix some busted up open wire secondaries while the sky was exploding and trees were falling 360 degrees around us they went out and bought us wind meters. To this day they haven't given us a wind speed to draw the line at. I know I will never work in those conditions again unless a life is at stake. Hero equals stupid in a hurricane.

Default wind

Featured Sponsorr

no farting in the van
    engineers aren,t god,s