Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 d-ring belts

Default 4 d-ring belts

Featured Sponsor

Due to the new OSHA laws coming soon, have/has any fellow brothers switched to the 4 d-ring belts? Is it company making this decision, or are the hands making the call?

Do any of you guys currently use the fall arrest systems required next year currently? If so, is the 4 d-ring the way to go?!

Just looking for a little info, especially from fellow brothers already using these systems.

In Solidarity
    just because you cover a pile of sh*t with syrup doesn't make it a pancake.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Old WWP doing this??

Default Do you mean full body??

Our "belts" in the UK tend to have four days rings but there are two on the hips for positioning then one front and one back for fall arrest.

Bren will no doubt remember true belts but since I've been working at height it has always been a full body harness

Stu

Four....sounds a little excessive....never had problems with one....yeap,times have changed alright.

I think,from what i have been reading,the four D-rings are to make sure you are buckled on at all times.We free climbers would stop,unbuckle and pass the pole strap over the obstacle,buckle back in and proceed.I think the idea is to stop that totally.You would move with two pole belts.We had some guys from Ireland trying to sell us the permanent attachment system.you had to wear a full body harness plus a regular belt or a combination thing.Had a D ring at the front and a long lanyard.When you get to an obstacle,you had to wrap the lanyard around the pole and secure it before you moved your scare strap.Pain in the a$$ it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew View Post
    I think,from what i have been reading,the four D-rings are to make sure you are buckled on at all times.We free climbers would stop,unbuckle and pass the pole strap over the obstacle,buckle back in and proceed.I think the idea is to stop that totally.You would move with two pole belts.We had some guys from Ireland trying to sell us the permanent attachment system.you had to wear a full body harness plus a regular belt or a combination thing.Had a D ring at the front and a long lanyard.When you get to an obstacle,you had to wrap the lanyard around the pole and secure it before you moved your scare strap.Pain in the a$$ it was.
    What about not stopping from the ground ..go around the obstacle and get where you need to be and then buckle off...thats the way it was here....Im pretty much old school and had trouble adapting to the safety belts having two latches/snaps....one worked well for me....but those days are long gone

Lucky for me,Reppy,I still do it like that but the days are coming fast when that will stop.By that time,I would've hung up my hooks and belt anyhow.Wit all the fibre optic cable on poles nowadays,by the time you get to the secondary,it is time for lunch!

Smile I like the four d rings

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    What about not stopping from the ground ..go around the obstacle and get where you need to be and then buckle off...thats the way it was here....Im pretty much old school and had trouble adapting to the safety belts having two latches/snaps....one worked well for me....but those days are long gone
    You can put your belts on the hips. Snap the handline on to the other. Then snap a nose bag with everything you need. Second thought screw the hand line, throw that down. Then snap your rigging on the other d ring. You have every thing so you don't need a handline. Hold the cutters with your teeth like a pirate. Press tool in your shirt. Or you can't cut every tree in the way, mat 10 hours to your structure and don't even worry about 4 d rings.

4 d-rings..the squeeze/ect...Im afraid some youngster will climb the old way and get hurt because he has already gotten used to the new way of climbing ,so when he thinks he's safe,actually he will be falling on his a$$ because he wont have all that new stuff to protect him.

Default Since 1840 we did it this way.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    4 d-rings..the squeeze/ect...Im afraid some youngster will climb the old way and get hurt because he has already gotten used to the new way of climbing ,so when he thinks he's safe,actually he will be falling on his a$$ because he wont have all that new stuff to protect him.
    since the advent of telegraph lines. So 170 years developed by men in trade for something no one wants, 90 percent don't use it anyways they use that green and white rope. You can't mandate someone to be unskilled! And I am not a tether ball!