Default do you American types ????

Featured Sponsor

We were changing an inter pole to a straight through section. And we had one of these things on it. ( A fault finder) never heard any of you guys mention them....... Just wondering if ya use them over yonder ???????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

I have seen alot of fault indcators on underground cables, but very few on overhead. I have mostly used the station equipment to get close to an overhead fault location.

NU has used them quite a bit where a 23kv feeder leaves the road and goes thru woods or swamps it saves time on patrols,also used where a feeder splits and goes a ways before some type of fuse or recloser mostly rural stuff. The ones used here go one per phase and they clamp on and hang right on the conductor some reset as soon as line is restored the older ones needed to be reset manually.

Default Over here

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
    NU has used them quite a bit where a 23kv feeder leaves the road and goes thru woods or swamps it saves time on patrols,also used where a feeder splits and goes a ways before some type of fuse or recloser mostly rural stuff. The ones used here go one per phase and they clamp on and hang right on the conductor some reset as soon as line is restored the older ones needed to be reset manually.
    These are remote locations .... Mountain , woods etc. well off the road.. They have them every ten span or so and as ya said they save hours looking for faults at night.. As soon as the line trips out they flash ( strobe light ) These reset them selves when the juice is restored... They have wee solar panels to keep them topped up. They don't need attention except around every ten years or so... Great bit of kit.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Umm you bettcha we use em... On overhead stuff that leaves the road and heads thru a wooded area we have sum way kewl ones that go to flashing when fault current passes thru em sure makes it easy to find the fault at night and I have used em to track down a bad arrestor also

We have them as well and ours are also on each phase they flash red when they see a fault and reset themselves when the line is picked back up. They flash white if they only see a bump and reset after 4 hours.

we got them also and we call them Fault Current Indicators or FCI's Overhead and URD.

Default By the way

Featured Sponsorr

By the way....I managed to get my " foreman " up in the bucket.

Told him that a change was as good as a rest. "RESULT".

Me and my mate gotta a cable pole change tomorrow .. Guess it will be me in the air coz he can drive the digger.

Was just curious if you guys used them over yonder coz never heard ya mention them.

O.M.G. we've something in common. " at last".