Thread: shotgun jumper?

Default shotgun jumper?

Featured Sponsor

I just took the test for LADWP and a question they asked is, what is a Shotgun Jumper?

Can someone tell me what a shotgun jumper is please? I assume that its a temporary mechanical jumper but that wasn't any of the choices they gave.

What were your choices for an answer, because I haver never heard of it.

Ummm sum folks use a mechanical jumper with a hot clamp on either end and it requires the use of a shogtun stick to put it on ...... maybe thats what they had in mind

The question asked in which scenario would you use a shotgun jumper? I googled it and couldn't find it either.

I only remeber two of the choices so I apologize for not offering more info.

A. To break load
    B. Over double arms (something like that)
    C. Don't remember
    D. Don't remember

I put to break load because sometimes when a fuse blows it can sound like a shotgun. They have different terminology that I've never heard. They call grunt sacks nose bags for instance, and I've never personally heard that term.
    Last edited by ozzy; 07-13-2014 at 01:17 AM.

In hind site I think the answer is would have been B. for over the arm jumpers. As you would use a mechanical jumper when cutting out the jumpers over the arms. I assume they call mechanical jumpers, shotgun jumpers, which I've never heard of before.

I would think a shotgun jumper is like Poot said . Up here we just call them jumpers, they have duckbill clamps on both ends and can be installed with a shotgun. In fact when jumpering out a switch the rule here is it must be installed with a shotgun.

I was also thinking it meant installing a jumper with a stick, that is why I wanted to know what choices he had for an answer. Up here all jumpers are supposed to be installed with sticks, never by hand.

I never heard it termed like that either. We have a wide dialect in the trade across the country and there are terms used in one area that means something else in another.

What I do know is, I would avoid using a jumper to break load by lifting one end.

We had red head jumpers, and pick up jumpers. We had #2 jumpers you could install with a shotgun stick. We even had jumpers with a fuse cut out with arc snuffers in the center of two jumper leads that you could break some load with.

Nose bag is derived from a feed bag for a horse. The rope goes over behind the ears and the bag with grain has his nose stuck in it. A morell feed bag is different.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I just took the test for LADWP and a question they asked is, what is a Shotgun Jumper?

Can someone tell me what a shotgun jumper is please? I assume that its a temporary mechanical jumper but that wasn't any of the choices they gave.
    pickup mac. The sound it makes when you release it. Some have a trigger, some have a plastic lanyard you pull. Besides being all of a sudden when they operate.