Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by deer View Post
    I applied for an apprenticeship and am awaiting the result, so I'm not in the trade yet. There isn't a standardized set of rules that line work follows? How the hell does that work? Electricians have the NEC. Seriously, what dictates how the work is done?

Osha Regulations, !910.269 For maintanence and 1926.subpart V for construction, and the NESC.

Default Rules

What many people don't understand is OSHA 1910.269 and Subpart V are Safety Rules, which means they are 90% manufacturer standards and things you can't do. Not really how you do the work. That used to be taught by the older linemen to the younger linemen. Now at too many companies nobody is really teaching.

Birddog37
    We are still allowing Short sleeve shirts under rubber sleeves but have been told that the new version of OSHA 1910.269 will not allow that in the future. I have heard that EEI (investor owned group) and NRECA (cooperative group) have jointly sued OSHA on several items in the new standards and the long sleeves are one of the issues.

Default Paragraph 3 subpart5 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    What many people don't understand is OSHA 1910.269 and Subpart V are Safety Rules, which means they are 90% manufacturer standards and things you can't do. Not really how you do the work. That used to be taught by the older linemen to the younger linemen. Now at too many companies nobody is really teaching.

Birddog37
    We are still allowing Short sleeve shirts under rubber sleeves but have been told that the new version of OSHA 1910.269 will not allow that in the future. I have heard that EEI (investor owned group) and NRECA (cooperative group) have jointly sued OSHA on several items in the new standards and the long sleeves are one of the issues.
    ummm. . . Can we just get **** done. Do you think any country in the world thinks like this? If I am totally isolated out, i am wearing all the bull**** and complying because I have to feed my family. When I started people just worked. Worked smart. Now if you work smart, someone gets his panties in a wad. Dumasses took over the industry. I am happy where I am at. But I know as soon as work on a road I have to put all that dumbs **** on. And the piece of paper called a tailboard, some legalese BS. If someone has to tell you every hazard and every step, you need to go home and doing something else. If you don't know what to do, how to do it, then go home. That's it.

if I cut out, I cut in. That's life.

great majority of the guys in the industry seem to think if you look at things long enough the wire will transfer itself.

and if we complied with everything we are suppose to do. You wouldn't get out of the yards by 10 am. You wouldn't turn any nuts in the air by 2 pm. When I took my pre trip inspection for my CDL it took me an hour and half. Then add on the OSHA mandated full check on you aerial lifts. Then your tool check. And the glove and sleeve inspection. And the more inspections and complicity for everyone. Gathering your material, grabbing poles, transportation to your job. Now if you didn't fill one check and something happens, you are liable. Because you probably filled out a piece of paper that you would do everything the government, the utility , and your management to comply. Because during in processing for work, they are going to pull out a sheet out of that three inch stack that you are get on your back and measure slack adjusters everyday.

everybody wants more. They want more production. More safety. More . . . Without liability or any cost. And that makes no sense, period.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    ummm. . . Can we just get **** done. Do you think any country in the world thinks like this? If I am totally isolated out, i am wearing all the bull**** and complying because I have to feed my family. When I started people just worked. Worked smart. Now if you work smart, someone gets his panties in a wad. Dumasses took over the industry. I am happy where I am at. But I know as soon as work on a road I have to put all that dumbs **** on. And the piece of paper called a tailboard, some legalese BS. If someone has to tell you every hazard and every step, you need to go home and doing something else. If you don't know what to do, how to do it, then go home. That's it.

if I cut out, I cut in. That's life.

great majority of the guys in the industry seem to think if you look at things long enough the wire will transfer itself.

and if we complied with everything we are suppose to do. You wouldn't get out of the yards by 10 am. You wouldn't turn any nuts in the air by 2 pm. When I took my pre trip inspection for my CDL it took me an hour and half. Then add on the OSHA mandated full check on you aerial lifts. Then your tool check. And the glove and sleeve inspection. And the more inspections and complicity for everyone. Gathering your material, grabbing poles, transportation to your job. Now if you didn't fill one check and something happens, you are liable. Because you probably filled out a piece of paper that you would do everything the government, the utility , and your management to comply. Because during in processing for work, they are going to pull out a sheet out of that three inch stack that you are get on your back and measure slack adjusters everyday.

everybody wants more. They want more production. More safety. More . . . Without liability or any cost. And that makes no sense, period.
    DANM Bobbo....Nice post man.

No man...We just Can't "get siht done" anymore. It has to be politically, environmentally, and socially correct.

And...BTW...don't you DARE trim those trees in the back yard of the a$$hole you were called out on that trouble call to replace the service wire...that that TREE limb brought down.....
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Bobbo

I agree man. When I started in the industry a Work order might consist of four pages of paper (1) a sketch (2) a list of the new structures per the spec book (3) materials issued and turned in and (4) a timesheet. That was all that was needed.
    Now I have written Work Orders that were fifteen pages or more by the time all the permits, clearances, tailgates etc. are included. Although we did slide one loophole in our tailgate sheet. It says "This is a routine job representing no unusual threats or circumstances and standard procedures cover the work involved." So for routine jobs the guys check the box sign their name get their assignments and go to work.

Default It used to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    I agree man. When I started in the industry a Work order might consist of four pages of paper (1) a sketch (2) a list of the new structures per the spec book (3) materials issued and turned in and (4) a timesheet. That was all that was needed.
    Now I have written Work Orders that were fifteen pages or more by the time all the permits, clearances, tailgates etc. are included. Although we did slide one loophole in our tailgate sheet. It says "This is a routine job representing no unusual threats or circumstances and standard procedures cover the work involved." So for routine jobs the guys check the box sign their name get their assignments and go to work.
    Remember we took care of each other. Now we get points for throwing each other under the bus. It's cool. It's the way to be nowadays. It feels good to destroy someone else. Such brotherhood. It's the way to feel good now a days. Now it's cool to be tattooed wear nipple rings and wear a BAMF lineman shirt because your mother was an alcoholic junkie whose boyfriend like to molest. Now guys feel they have to overcompensate their manhood by being foreman and have no clue what they are doing. Now they build junk. ****. Utilities want us to set poles, not build circuits anymore. Now we are in conflict with their guys. Carnies build circuits. Now carny JLs don't really know their trade because we don't build circuits anymore. Now if you suck off to an idiot utility inspector, you have a great future. You barely know anything. The inspector knows less. That's life in our trade and our industry. Politics wins. And your a dumbass that doesn't set poles in a property corner but right in the middle of the lawn because it's easier to transfer. Put a riser and ground right under the switch, ******* build everything because you have BAMF lineman t shirt, tattoos and nipple rings. Cool.

I guess I am lucky. Most of us here still try to look after each other, of course most of our crew is older guys, but the young ones are getting the message. Slowly. I constantly harp on building for the next guy, on trouble , in the middle of the night. I tell them it could be you and chances are it won't be me. I do it because that is the right way. Helping each other is normal , and even the young guys will help a customer, especially if she is pretty!

Default I just want normal good people.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I guess I am lucky. Most of us here still try to look after each other, of course most of our crew is older guys, but the young ones are getting the message. Slowly. I constantly harp on building for the next guy, on trouble , in the middle of the night. I tell them it could be you and chances are it won't be me. I do it because that is the right way. Helping each other is normal , and even the young guys will help a customer, especially if she is pretty!
    We don't need anymore men with tattoos, a Sy Robertson beard, crazy ass ear rings, a 2 foot lift kit with line god annealed on the back window, and your whole wardrobe.is bought in lineman barn. I hope that fad goes quick. A tattoo and a t shirt doesn't make you smarter. Looking like a thug doesn't make anyone smarter. It shows you don't care about yourself, your work mates or your family. I would rather take my kids somewhere than get a thousand dollar sleeve tattoo. When you run across these guys and they look so prison. Why join this trade, just go to prison, if you want that look. Then they put flash on which they don't know what it means. I have seen a lot of webs on elbows, and narco cultura, and the guy put it on because it's cool. Can't wait til there little burg runs dry and have to work south Chicago, Compton, jersey city . They will regret those toos.

Umm summa thiis is our fault.... them guys shudda never been accepted into the trade enyways

Default I've s

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Umm summa thiis is our fault.... them guys shudda never been accepted into the trade enyways
    I've a tattoo or two..
    doesn't make me any less of a linesman let alone a person.
    DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY THE COVER. ...if these guys aren't doing things right it's your fault..... I look after my guys an they watch my back.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !