Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

I have seen first hand what it's like to work for an outfit with practically zero safety policy. Too much safety, the job takes forever but you get paid and you make it home at the end of the day, no safety, who knows if your ticket is going to be punched at any given day.

I've never put to much stock into what a guy looked like, I've seen some guys that have rolled in with their boots un-laced and looked like they had just rolled in from the night before that I had my doubts about but some of them were cracker jack hands and knew more than one way to get the job done safely, now all these tatoos and t-shirts about fireman needing hero's I could care less about, as far as I'm concerned it makes us look as glory hungry as cops and fireman, and all the stickers in the back glasses of these pick-up's ( Life on the line, Hookin ain't easy, etc, etc ) all showing lineman climbing a pole, a lot of these are the same guys who are taking down fences and cutting down trees to get a bucket truck in the backyard to change out a #2 str house service. Times have changed and I don't think that most companys have the stomach to deal with the problems, it's a lot kinder and gentler trade today. Charlie.

I'm out. Jan. will be the last. Not done with the work, just done with superiors being inferiors and the lack of respect.

I had to laugh at the story about lineman needing a bucket to change out service drops...thats funny,really sad.Nowdays a lineman doesnt get much respect,not with the people in charge...they are too busy worrying about their own a$$es and want everyone to think they are able to walk on water.....which aint going to happen!

Default Some of the toos are sold as flash and are prison messages.

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    I've a tattoo or two..
    doesn't make me any less of a linesman let alone a person.
    DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY THE COVER. ...if these guys aren't doing things right it's your fault..... I look after my guys an they watch my back.
    Some of these guys loaded themselves with toos that they bought as flash, fifty dollar quick tattoos in their small towns. Then you work with ex cons did a few stints at Folsom he will tell you whatever tattoo means. Webs on the elbows is from the Aryan brotherhood for killing a non white. Then you got the crazy ones for being gay, crazy signals and meanings. In their small towns they are badass. When they go to big cities, tattoos mean something. And your walking around with a bunch of messages that looked cool in the little Ville they are from, then they will walk in a biker bar and get killed for having the wrong tat. I see it all the time. When your 18 looking at a flash book and picking something, then you go out in the real world and your tats mean something they have no clue about. I have seen 5 to ten guys over the years have cobwebs on their elbows, and I doubt any of them killed a non white.

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    What many people don't understand is OSHA 1910.269 and Subpart V are Safety Rules, which means they are 90% manufacturer standards and things you can't do. Not really how you do the work. That used to be taught by the older linemen to the younger linemen. Now at too many companies nobody is really teaching.

Birddog37
    We are still allowing Short sleeve shirts under rubber sleeves but have been told that the new version of OSHA 1910.269 will not allow that in the future. I have heard that EEI (investor owned group) and NRECA (cooperative group) have jointly sued OSHA on several items in the new standards and the long sleeves are one of the issues.
    Are they suing them over the flash shields to work primary? That is going to eat into production in the summers when the EMS will be hauling off all the sunstroke victims. Oh well, maybe we'll all start doing this work deenergized.........it must be too dangerous to rubber glove anymore. I always bring up hotsticking when the safety pukes tell me how to make this job safer. Back in the 80s before 1245, 47, 17, etc, etc ......give away their sticks, the safety record spoke for itself. They never seem to want to talk much about that though.

Default I said it for five years and no one listens!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    Are they suing them over the flash shields to work primary? That is going to eat into production in the summers when the EMS will be hauling off all the sunstroke victims. Oh well, maybe we'll all start doing this work deenergized.........it must be too dangerous to rubber glove anymore. I always bring up hotsticking when the safety pukes tell me how to make this job safer. Back in the 80s before 1245, 47, 17, etc, etc ......give away their sticks, the safety record spoke for itself. They never seem to want to talk much about that though.
    Rubber gloves cradle to cradle and butt to butt. I'd you hot sticked there would be no need for any of the rules. AK, WA and OR have very few electrical contact fatalities. Because they haul the essential sticks. We took away a safer practice away because we had to compete with the non union. Because they primarily gloved. We have the equipment to stick, with the warheads to clip. Nobody has anything to dead end or connect. I haven't seen a hand, holding stick, or ratcheting got cutter stick for ten years. I say if the rules get more ridiculous bring back the stick trailer! There will be flashes and fires but no electrical contact deaths! The leaders of our industry fight logic. We practiced this work safely for a long time, and they went to gloves because it takes less skill and we can be more productive. Now it's such a pain in the ass to go to work anymore, someone screaming about FR vests signs cones and barricades and we our on a dirt road in between bean fields with no structures near us. I love this rubber gloves is a uniform requiring gloves sleeves and booties and I am operating an extendo stick opening a cutout, with 35 feet of fiberglass out! Help us!

Featured Sponsorr

Signal Seven on that Bobbo