Thread: How we do it.

Default How we do it.

Featured Sponsor

This is how we do it in the UK

PUT THE POLES UP a few days before the shut down while still live.
    then we change them over during a shut down... SIMPLE

We we can only put them up if it's not raining...and we put the line to " one shot " ...while " live line polling".
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default Saw it done last year

First time ever I managed to be on site whilst a pole was being set "live line". Really good to watch the process and the number of guys involved as spotters. The one I saw was "planted" in the middle of a field with a pole lorry but same principle.

It became a terminal pole a couple of days later during the shutdown as 10 spans were undergrounded and routed via a new substation during the outage. All paid for by the customer too.

Placing the new poles in the vicinity of existing live lines seems to be a big killer in America for the guys on the ground. I can see some insulation at the top, but what are your rules for the guys on the ground?
    Ironically it's the type of gradient shock that a defibrillator would work well with for recovering a heartbeat. I bet you don't have a defib on your truck Bren.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default De fib

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Placing the new poles in the vicinity of existing live lines seems to be a big killer in America for the guys on the ground. I can see some insulation at the top, but what are your rules for the guys on the ground?
    Ironically it's the type of gradient shock that a defibrillator would work well with for recovering a heartbeat. I bet you don't have a defib on your truck Bren.
    Its a separate authorization required for setting the poles live. A couple of days on a course.. We use a three man team. All trained in the procedure ... The digger driver also gets specific training..
    The digger itself has to be fitted with check valves..( they basically freeze the machine in place if there's a hydraulic failure). The machine has to be earthed with a field equipment earth..also there are strict rules on where the replacement poles can be put up. No more than 10 foot from the old pole .. Not allowed in PVC covered spans....etc etc etc.
    I,m de fib trained as well Clive " but only because we did it for my brothers Karate club....". We bought a de fib for the club and we do a refresher every year.. But sadly never seen one in any line truck EVER..

Blog Entries

Those are,easy sets Bren..... We do it hot all the time, but we usually have secondaries, telephone, and Catv on joint use poles to contend with......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default here

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Those are,easy sets Bren..... We do it hot all the time, but we usually have secondaries, telephone, and Catv on joint use poles to contend with......
    Are electricity poles are only allowed carry our own equipment.due to the fact that other companys are not allowed share poles. "Health an saftey". They are not permited to climb ours or us thiers. This was a single phase spur.gets tighter when its three phase .......

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Here we also do a lot of what we call cut & Kick. That is where the pole is cut off set over a bit from the butt and tied off. Then pull the butt and put a new pole in the same hole. All of this is done hot. The rule here also is wear rubber gloves when setting a pole in an energized line.

We came off the British system and used to do it like that too.Well,we still do but that is going out.We now have mandates to keep a pre-determined amount of customers on supply while doing maintenance so things are getting hot(laugh).That number is growing every year.You know,corporate targets etc,etc.

9. Default

That looks awesome!

Featured Sponsorr

That would be an everyday job for us Bren, and usually with more underbuild plus telephone and who knows what else. We do most things live , of course we take our time and use all the safety equipment available to us. Shared poles are commonplace here.