Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sigeline View Post
    Loop feed makes no sense whatsoever. Radial feed, yes it will keep the downstream customers on, but you are going to blink them once you get the new pot online. Really don't see the point. It can be done safely, but don't think what you are accomplishing is worth the hassle. Usually our URD will need elbows changed when the pot goes anyway due to elbow failure, and or transformer internals being stuck in the elbow. URd is for the birds. I hate it, but makes me a lot of $$$.
    Speaking of internals.....wonder how many places dont change them.....or like old times ....one small bushing well equals a bad pot ?

Default That's the way we did it all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Have done it years ago, can't see any reason why they would want you to do it on a loop, every time I have done it we wrapped the feed-thru in a blanket and changed the pot out, never had any problems but it by no means is the safest way to get the job done on a loop.
    You don't have to use gloves every thing can be done with a stick. Did four times a day for a long time. But we ourselves built the elbows. Not ambitious green apprentice who puts together an elbow kit like a pre school art project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    You don't have to use gloves every thing can be done with a stick. Did four times a day for a long time. But we ourselves built the elbows. Not ambitious green apprentice who puts together an elbow kit like a pre school art project.
    Sure, if you made up the elbows and a short time ago you'll prolly do fine.

i did it on old elastimold elbows and had one blow up on the end of the stick....... I'll never do it again..... Same happened to a good friend of mine who had a lapse and assumed he was pulling a dead elbow with no stick and leather gloves, same sh!t, blew up in his face. Thank god all he got was minor burns on his arms and face...... My advice, don't do it. I've been around too long and been in the business too long to be a hero anymore......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Ive never had trouble with elbows unless they were made up wrong....12 kv seemed to be a plaything....34.5 was a different story....did that many of many times hot.But if there was fog or a large amount of moisture in the air,you could bet it would blow the fuse...anyone wanna bet?

My question is , why? Why work in a confined space with live cables right beside you if you don't have to? We used to change out transformers with the primaries alive too. Now with all the companies professing safety first, why don't we just isolate from both sides in a loop, ground properly, then get her done. I had a submersible blow the lid off one day , fortunately I was vault washing and standing just to the road side of the vault, 16kv, that was a heck of a ball of fire. lucky for me I only got a small burn on my forearm. No indication that it was going to blow, just all of a sudden , boom. I sure wouldn't want to be in the hole. I don't go into live manholes , either, same reason. When a fault occurs, you might as well ask for a hearse for any fellas in the hole!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    My question is , why? Why work in a confined space with live cables right beside you if you don't have to? We used to change out transformers with the primaries alive too. Now with all the companies professing safety first, why don't we just isolate from both sides in a loop, ground properly, then get her done. I had a submersible blow the lid off one day , fortunately I was vault washing and standing just to the road side of the vault, 16kv, that was a heck of a ball of fire. lucky for me I only got a small burn on my forearm. No indication that it was going to blow, just all of a sudden , boom. I sure wouldn't want to be in the hole. I don't go into live manholes , either, same reason. When a fault occurs, you might as well ask for a hearse for any fellas in the hole!
    Thats the best, most knowledgeable post in this entire thread Rob. You nailed it...!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks, Labor, its just personal experience.

Default It was line extensions

When the built in a development and had to deliver a can. They would be on a 2 point with a lid. Unbolt the lid take it off. Put the padmount on and build it. neutral and ground. Pull up the 2 point and stow it on that u shaped holder. Plug in the feed. Check the voltage. Plug in the secondary. It was no big deal. The easiest job of the day. It took about ten minutes. Easy.used a shotgun for everything. How is that hard?

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    When the built in a development and had to deliver a can. They would be on a 2 point with a lid. Unbolt the lid take it off. Put the padmount on and build it. neutral and ground. Pull up the 2 point and stow it on that u shaped holder. Plug in the feed. Check the voltage. Plug in the secondary. It was no big deal. The easiest job of the day. It took about ten minutes. Easy.used a shotgun for everything. How is that hard?
    Not hard at all, but with some of the stupid sh!t I've seen happen in my 42 years in the business I won't do it that way anymore..... I'm paid by the hour, if it takes 10 minutes or 10 hours I'm doing it by the book, no more hero and no more short cuts.....