Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Retirement SUCKS!

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1245hand View Post
    OLD's forgotten more than most of us ever knew. Been retired since 2001 and still preaching his old school knowledge- line work's still done the same way. Not true. It's kinda like having the lineman that's spent the last 15 yrs of his career in the office tell you how to do your job. In one ear and out the other.

I've seen line work change more in the last 10 years than in the first 25 of my career.

I admire Swampy for not wanting to let go of his past, but that's what it is- the past.

Swamp, relax. Don't run off the young guys. Being retired 14 years must be great. Batts sounds relaxed.

Reppy will be back soon.

Merry Christmas!
    20 MILES EAST, 30 miles hot 69 converting to 161kva, with hot under build. PAR, with all new equipment $38 PLUS AND SUB. All overtime plus. Friends Working 25 miles north, pole change out 500 poles plus TIME JOB. Talk with the hands daily from 1245 and 47, dumb asses making boo coo money, and not saving a dime for rainy days. 1245 do you know retired SCE lineman Bruce Thompson? After my second retirement as Kansas Safety Director, messed around teaching small REA companies CPR, basic first aid and A-fib. Then this year was a bad year at poker table, with no loses to deduct, so tax time will kill me on $21 K in winnings.
    But for Swampy, he can't forget, what he never knew, and him saying Danny Brown was a few brick shy. Well Danny was was of the sharpest nonunion/union lineman on this board........
    1245, didn't I meet you at the International Rodeo, in 2008 while you were still an apprentice? Might have you confused with another 1245 hand.
    Why did the first electrical workers feel the need to Unionize? To give you something to rail against? No. Because there was a 50% mortality rate in the business. Safety! IT IS STILL TRUE TODAY!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1245hand View Post
    OLD's forgotten more than most of us ever knew. Been retired since 2001 and still preaching his old school knowledge
    I admire Swampy for not wanting to let go of his past, but that's what it is- the past.
    Yup, you're right man. I'm just happy I was raised in the old line work, and got to work in the greatest trade out there! PC line work of today...Not so much. Even some of my apprentices are bout ready to throw in the towel. :-((
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

3. Default Journeyman

Yep, go ahead and build it, then come back when someone can be inside checking as you throw it in! Preferably an employee of that facility so they can sign off on it. ALWAYS make sure THEY say it's all good in the hood before leaving, even if you're putting something back together exactly the same way it was. I even right names down! You aren't pinning that 5000$ motor that's been spinning backwards for 8 hrs. then blew up, on me Foo!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shaneb73 View Post
    Yep, go ahead and build it, then come back when someone can be inside checking as you throw it in! Preferably an employee of that facility so they can sign off on it. ALWAYS make sure THEY say it's all good in the hood before leaving, even if you're putting something back together exactly the same way it was. I even right names down! You aren't pinning that 5000$ motor that's been spinning backwards for 8 hrs. then blew up, on me Foo!
    What?.....
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by shaneb73 View Post
    really?...
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt