Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Two dead in bucket truck accident

Featured Sponsor

National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Sorry it seems that this video has been removed!
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Blog Entries

Lood, what company?
    Last edited by Orgnizdlbr; 04-14-2014 at 04:43 AM.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Lood, what company?

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...86&h=6AQEXYV0b

Mass Bay Electric working for N-Star
    Last edited by loodvig; 04-14-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Default Bad Day!

To all...The accident occurred at 665 Scenic Hwy. Bourne MA. It’s a rock and gravel quarry with a transmission line running through it. You can put that address into Google maps and it will take you to the site. Look at the northern edge of the quarry for the line. They had 140' of stick out and it appears as though the truck went over backwards. The cab and the chassis are sticking straight up in the air in photos taken at the scene. A little premature perhaps...but the only way I can see this happening is gross overload at the given boom angle. Just saying. God speed to all !!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    To all...The accident occurred at 665 Scenic Hwy. Bourne MA. It’s a rock and gravel quarry with a transmission line running through it. You can put that address into Google maps and it will take you to the site. Look at the northern edge of the quarry for the line. They had 140' of stick out and it appears as though the truck went over backwards. The cab and the chassis are sticking straight up in the air in photos taken at the scene. A little premature perhaps...but the only way I can see this happening is gross overload at the given boom angle. Just saying. God speed to all !!
    Could it possibly be improper outrigging/poor ground conditions/ect.

Before speculating as to whether the guys caused the tip-over it would be better to accumulate facts first. We had a recent incident in the UK where a mechanic was killed when the new machine he was testing tipped over. It turned out to be a fault in its positioning safety limiter.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Anything is possible!

Reppy...while yes it is possible it is unlikely given the mechanical dynamics of the accident scene. The boom does appear to have been positioned directly aft of the chassis. When you have 140' of boom in the air it is not hard to get overloaded when you begin articulating the boom. Meaning you have a very very limited field of motion. Not to mention increasing the load by say perhaps attempting to move a conductor. And yes it would overload the support capabilities of the outriggers. Please understand I don't know and mean no disrespect by my statement. I have observed this exact type of accident before and it took a very short day to determine the cause. Again I don't know...

I just can't see how overloading the boom would go that far, that cab and chassis is a huge counterweight . The ground must have given away. Working off the back end is the most stable working position. Prayers going out to their families and co-workers. RIP

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I just can't see how overloading the boom would go that far, that cab and chassis is a huge counterweight . The ground must have given away. Working off the back end is the most stable working position. Prayers going out to their families and co-workers. RIP
    I know working off the back seems the most stable, but in most cases, it is not. It depends on where the lift is attached to the chassis and where the wheels are. For the case with no horizontal loading (wind or force by the users in the bucket), the stability is determined simply by the "moments" on one side of the impending point of rotation (one of the axles) relative to the moments on the other side. A "moment" is just a torque value and is computed by the weight times the distance from the point of impending rotation. Since a moment is a force times a distance, a small weight at a great distance from the fulcrum can be equal to a small weight close to the fulcrum. Because we are assuming all vertical forces, the height that the force is applied does not enter into the calculation. For the case where all forces are vertical, the point of impending rotation is shown as a triangle fulcrum point below with a red line to show the two sides.

The truck will begin to rotate when the moments on one side of the red line are greater than those on the other. Because the lift shown in the photo had the lift mounted to the rear of the vehicle, "working off the back" is less stable because most of the boom is on the far side of the red line from the truck. As shown in the diagram on the right, much of the boom is on the truck side of the red line and contributes to stability. I have simplified this a bit because I have treated the truck as a "rigid body" and it's not. Its orientation changes with loading because of the springs.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Name:  Bucket Dynamics.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  22.3 KB