1. Default Getting started as a lineman in Australia

Featured Sponsor

Hi I am an American living in Western Australia. I would like to become a lineman. I do not have any experience in the field yet but have plenty of heavy machinery and diesel mechanic experience. Does anybody know if there is any way of starting a carrier and getting my foot in the door whilst im over here. Grunt work. Thanks

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
    Hi I am an American living in Western Australia. I would like to become a lineman. I do not have any experience in the field yet but have plenty of heavy machinery and diesel mechanic experience. Does anybody know if there is any way of starting a carrier and getting my foot in the door whilst im over here. Grunt work. Thanks
    Interesting.

Being you have heavy machinery and diesel mechanic experience...sure seems to me that you should be able to find work with a Utility, or support company in Australia in the powerline field.

Getting on in your field of expertice, with a Utility or powerline company, I think would be a first step.

Good Luck man.

I almost was gonna immigrate there, back in the 80's
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

3. Default

Featured Sponsorr

I think your best option would be to apply for an apprenticeship with Western Power or any of the major contractors Tenix, Transfield, Thiess etc.
    Doing an electrical pre-vocational course at TAFE is a minimum with most companies these days to even get to interview stage. This shows them that you are proactive and willing to sacrifice some of your own time and money.

Tradesman, especially mechanics are very common in the electrical supply industry with mature age apprentices almost the standard so good luck.