1. Default arm chair trouble shooting

Featured Sponsor

What gets on my nerves lately. I just got forced to midnight trouble dept. Arm chair trouble shooting by dispatchers that have never been in the field.
    I don't know where they come up with their ideas of why the circuit is out but it seems really arbitrary, and 90% of the time is not even close!

thats funny ....wouldnt their average go up a bit if they guessed trees 50% OF THE TIME......I would think that they would know that.

Blog Entries

Seems this is a problem every where, dispatchers are hired off the street with no prior knowledge or experience..... Then they try to tell us what to do. Their computer software predicts where the problem is...... And they think it's gospel.

the best dispatchers always came from the field....... Ah, the old days!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

That was going on when I was there, street people dispatching. I always said if you could shoot trouble from an easy chair in a warm office, Troubleshooters would have figured out how to do that a long time ago.

I can remember hearing more than once a dispatcher asking ...you cant find the problem with the circuit..well it was like 3am and dark.....it used to be no problem asking them to heat it up,even more than once till you basically pin-point the area.Now they dont do that as much,but it was quite common here,real common .

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    I can remember hearing more than once a dispatcher asking ...you cant find the problem with the circuit..well it was like 3am and dark.....it used to be no problem asking them to heat it up,even more than once till you basically pin-point the area.Now they dont do that as much,but it was quite common here,real common .
    Yeah. Go by the sub and take the ground out and tell em to hit it. You get a good look/see then. Almost a guarantee find.

So don't your dispatchers go into the field at all?All of our dispatchers except one were linemen.They all have a week that they go into the field to meet supervisors or customers and organize switching for planned outages.They get knowledge of the system as it is and not from a schematic.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew View Post
    So don't your dispatchers go into the field at all?All of our dispatchers except one were linemen.They all have a week that they go into the field to meet supervisors or customers and organize switching for planned outages.They get knowledge of the system as it is and not from a schematic.
    That would be nice. 90% of them were only in the field as customers before they got hired.

Featured Sponsorr

Same stuff here. Management thinks all can be fixed with policies and procedures. Someone will be talked into a disaster. The funny thing is when they are lost then they sound like a whining puppy dog looking for attention.