Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Copper to Ally

Default Copper to Ally

Featured Sponsor

Pulled the old copper out today.replacing it with aluminium .
    35 mm copper out...50mm ally in.
    Used old wire to pull in the " obviously".
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

The copper you are taking out is probably twice as good as the aluminum you are replacing it with.

Default Just a number

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    The copper you are taking out is probably twice as good as the aluminum you are replacing it with.
    I agree. I'm just a number. On jobs like this. " I'm paid from the neck down."

Hmm, it does seem like step in the wrong direction. Is the copper old and brittle? I don't really see it being an improvement in any way let alone current carrying capability. It's just going to open up that old can of worms regarding aluminiums tendency to have more issues with electrical joints.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the measurements, but isn't 50mm about 2 inches? Is that some sort of cross-sectional measurement?

Also, I'm curious about why all the man-lifts shown in your photos have the attachment to the boom at the bottom of the bucket? Here in the US, they mostly seem to be mounted at the top rim (including my VersaLift). Any thoughts? It just looks unstable, although I'm sure it's a fine design.

Mark

Default Hard to tell

Quote Originally Posted by busman View Post
    I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the measurements, but isn't 50mm about 2 inches? Is that some sort of cross-sectional measurement?

Also, I'm curious about why all the man-lifts shown in your photos have the attachment to the boom at the bottom of the bucket? Here in the US, they mostly seem to be mounted at the top rim (including my VersaLift). Any thoughts? It just looks unstable, although I'm sure it's a fine design.

Mark
    Tough to say looking at that picture but that looks like 3 stranded copper... We've replaced that in area's with 3/0 AL
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Mark
    That would be area of the cross section 50mm squared.Conductor would be about 8mm in diameter,about half inch

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew View Post
    That would be area of the cross section 50mm squared.Conductor would be about 8mm in diameter,about half inch
    Got it. I thought it might be an area measurement. Here it is in circular mils or MCM for 1,000 circular mils. Circular mil is the area of a circle with a diameter of 1 mil. It keeps PI out of the math.

Thanks,

Mark

Default Lifts

Mark
    We've a few different bucket trucks.. I think it's because our poles ain't so high that they are mounted this way.. They seem to mount them to suit the vehicle .. Mostly land rover or similar.
    And " Hebrew" explained the conductor size perfectly The copper that we are changing is three strand.. Mind you the ally looks neat when complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    We've a few different bucket trucks.. I think it's because our poles ain't so high that they are mounted this way.. They seem to mount them to suit the vehicle .. Mostly land rover or similar.
    And " Hebrew" explained the conductor size perfectly The copper that we are changing is three strand.. Mind you the ally looks neat when complete.
    Out of curiousity why was the one jumper run underneath the arm and the other two run over the arm on jumper pins?