Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Default Dogs

Featured Sponsor

It’s a great idea but I don’t know if I would go through all that work to refrain a dog so I could do a job. The right animal rights activist see that and one might end up in jail or fined for cruelty to animals. If I am working next to a fence with a barking dog or dogs I will take a piece of rope about 15’ long and tie a half hitch at the fence and then throw the rest into the dogs yard. For some reason that rope just made me the lead or dominate over those dogs and they will stop barking. When I am done I grab my rope out of their yard and they start barking again. Go figure.

Sometimes just grabing a piece of rope and saying " go for a walk" they'll stop in there tracks and cock there head. Kinda funny you can actually see them downloading and processing the info They're defending their turf and see you as a threat. Won't work on all dogs. Some people chain their dogs outside 24/7 they are never part of the family. I never understood that?
    My dog sleeps in our bed! He's as much a part of the familt as any of us.

3. Default Newbie tricks.

New to the site. Forgive me, I did communications line construction for years... But, I do have a few tricks to bring with me.

I like to take about a 4ft length of flat UG pull line in the bucket with me with a loop tied in one end. This loop is big enough to fit over the bucket hook. This stuff is rated for 1250lbs. and is great for tying a grapevine around a service if you need to free your hands. You can actually sag with it by sliding it out while pulling up the service just make sure your bucket hooks are secure. Now I know a 20 wedge grip with slackies is great too, but you don't have to split the service with one hand to put on the grapevine. Plus the pull line takes up no room at all. Also if you throw a little tape on end it makes it easier to handle in gloves.

I see guys struggle throwing rope. I made an 80ft throw rope (rope of your preference) by putting a knot about a foot from the end, throwing on three or four square nuts, throwing on a screw spindle eye, and then another knot. The key to throwing this rope is... coil it in your nondominate hand and have about a two to three ft lead in your throwing hand. make overhand circlesand let out an inch or two where you think it should release. you will be able to tell after a couple of circles. When it feels right whirl her around and release. I can hit a 1ft hole at 40 or 50ft may be more on a good day. Doing communications we weren't allow to cut the trees so we got pretty **** good. I've used it numerous times since I came to power.

My last one requires a story, sorry. We were on storm (Irene) in Conn. Working sub-t. 4/0 covered copper 12ft arm change out 300ft spans inaccessible. It was me and a lineman. I was a first step. I climbed up there and had no idea how heavy it was. We untied it and just slid it off of the insulaters and brought it in with out too much trouble, but after we changed the arm and put in the new insulator... How do you get it back on the 8-12 inch high post insulator? Well we struggled for about five minutes when I got an idea. I was using a Pole lariat by bashlin (could problably use any fall arrest). I opened it up all the way, turned my belt backwards, threw my other safety around the arm (don't know if this was necesary? Thought it might keep me from swinging into the pole), and hoped up in top of the arm. Then I slid out to the end, put one hand on the wire on either side and hopped up on on knee basically making a triangle with my knee and hands. Picked the wire right up like nothing. tied it in and looked at my lineman and said, "A first step just got it, now you have to get it" a few minutes later he was still struggling and I had already tied in the center phase. I said " you want me to come over there and help you?" He said "no" Then he called for a collar rope, and I learned something. He took that rope and tied in on the arm and made a loop/step to stand in and lifted it no problem.

Sorry I write so much. Don't want to be vague and want other newbies to be able to understand. Also want you more experienced guys to be able to see any flaws and be able to comment.

Thank you.

Default Welcome Sponge

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    New to the site. Forgive me, I did communications line construction for years... But, I do have a few tricks to bring with me.

Great first post and welcome to this forum, you can also introduce yourself here........CLICK

I like to take about a 4ft length of flat UG pull line in the bucket with me with a loop tied in one end. This loop is big enough to fit over the bucket hook. This stuff is rated for 1250lbs. and is great for tying a grapevine around a service if you need to free your hands. You can actually sag with it by sliding it out while pulling up the service just make sure your bucket hooks are secure. Now I know a 20 wedge grip with slackies is great too, but you don't have to split the service with one hand to put on the grapevine. Plus the pull line takes up no room at all. Also if you throw a little tape on end it makes it easier to handle in gloves.

Your method might work good for sagging a telephone drop to a house but I can not imagine that cable folks use a grapevine on coaxial cable…seems it might damage it. Sponge where did you get bucket hooks that are rated for tension? I always thought they where made to hold things and I would never use them with a side tension. I have no problem installing a 20 grip on triplex, you need to be taught how to pull that neutral out far enough to place a grip. Personally I do not like a grape vine to pull anything up to tension, seen to much damage from that knot.

I see guys struggle throwing rope. I made an 80ft throw rope (rope of your preference) by putting a knot about a foot from the end, throwing on three or four square nuts, throwing on a screw spindle eye, and then another knot. The key to throwing this rope is... coil it in your nondominate hand and have about a two to three ft lead in your throwing hand. make overhand circlesand let out an inch or two where you think it should release. you will be able to tell after a couple of circles. When it feels right whirl her around and release. I can hit a 1ft hole at 40 or 50ft may be more on a good day. Doing communications we weren't allow to cut the trees so we got pretty **** good. I've used it numerous times since I came to power.

Hey being a good thrower you better make bets on beer and I bet you will never buy. As good thrower is valuable on a transmission job when you have to get your rope mid span between the bundle so you can pull the conductor down to cut out the double socks and install the splice. I recommend you get a throwing ball, mine is about the size of a tennis ball made of canvas and filled with sand. It has a loop sewn into it for a rope to be attached. I have seen to many windows broken from the type you describe with all that bare hardware.
    My last one requires a story, sorry. We were on storm (Irene) in Conn. Working sub-t. 4/0 covered copper 12ft arm change out 300ft spans inaccessible. It was me and a lineman. I was a first step. I climbed up there and had no idea how heavy it was. We untied it and just slid it off of the insulaters and brought it in with out too much trouble, but after we changed the arm and put in the new insulator... How do you get it back on the 8-12 inch high post insulator? Well we struggled for about five minutes when I got an idea. I was using a Pole lariat by bashlin (could problably use any fall arrest). I opened it up all the way, turned my belt backwards, threw my other safety around the arm (don't know if this was necesary? Thought it might keep me from swinging into the pole), and hoped up in top of the arm. Then I slid out to the end, put one hand on the wire on either side and hopped up on on knee basically making a triangle with my knee and hands. Picked the wire right up like nothing. tied it in and looked at my lineman and said, "A first step just got it, now you have to get it" a few minutes later he was still struggling and I had already tied in the center phase. I said " you want me to come over there and help you?" He said "no" Then he called for a collar rope, and I learned something. He took that rope and tied in on the arm and made a loop/step to stand in and lifted it no problem.

Sponge it sounds to me that you, your lineman and foreman where all in a bind to get that job done. Do you know that there is a cross-arm gin, that mounts on the arm above the insulator with a working eye on the top? Also if you do not have an arm-gin available you can make one out of a cross arm, you use it under the same fundamentals that a fiction crane is run. If you want to be an old man someday you need to use your head and some rigging or you will wear your body out young. 4/0 cu. Is very heavy.
    Sorry I write so much. Don't want to be vague and want other newbies to be able to understand. Also want you more experienced guys to be able to see any flaws and be able to comment.

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing.....

if it was any of your business you would know

Default Throw rope

Some one showed me a neat trick years ago.... 550 parachute cord with an eye nut tied to the end of it.

I've tried and failed thowing rope every other way it's usually done ( 'cept from horseback)

550 is light... just throw the eyenut like you throw a rock.... over stuff, through holes in tree limbs...goes right were it's supposed to

Quote Originally Posted by climbsomemore View Post
    Some one showed me a neat trick years ago.... 550 parachute cord with an eye nut tied to the end of it.

I've tried and failed thowing rope every other way it's usually done ( 'cept from horseback)

550 is light... just throw the eyenut like you throw a rock.... over stuff, through holes in tree limbs...goes right were it's supposed to
    Or you can feed it through the eye nut like a trimmer would with a throwin bag (makin a "V"), swing it between your legs and give it a final fling at your target. Point your index fingers at the target like your shootin you six guns and it'll hit right where your pointin!

As for grapevines, I find on older copper trplx usin the vine is better if ya have to swing the wire hot! You tie the vine gingerly around the wire instead of spreadin the legs and chancing the coating crackin and groundin out on your grip?

7. Default Thanks Drifter

Drifter,
    Thanks for your input. I used the UG pulline grapevine on coax for years. Seven wraps to be precise. Never damaged he cable. I would not recomend using it or bucket hooks for anything huge. I wish our buckets had clip offs. I know the jib is good, but it is only on one side and is "supposed" to be pulled in line. As for being taught the right way, you maybe right. I personally would rather it rigged on the ground on a handline/handline with slackies, but we can't always get what we want.

As for the throw rope, they make a rubber ball version, but it is cumbersome. Like your tennis ball idea. I have never had trouble controlling the headache end.

And for the cross arm gin/made cross arm gin/friction crane, I don't know enough to comment. I only knew what we had to work with. I you can help me to know how to make and work one, I will gladly add it to my bag of tricks. And yeah 4/0 is very heavy...

FYI. I was a working foreman for Cable Services Inc. for four years. Raise and Run/Rebuild strand (messenger), overlash coax and fiber.

Another great trick/tool, If you're lashing, get a pair of vise grips and have a bug nut welded to them. Their called catch offs. You can clip them on the wire over the lashing wire and have two free hands. I know you all don't lash much, but I also know I have looked up and seen some lashed primary. Also, are the metal visegrips a safety hazard??

Also, I there any where to learn cut and kick well. I was a little surprised not to see that as a trick of the trade. Or should any respecting lineman know how to do that with his eyes closed. I have only seen it done once on storm and it seemed to work well, but I didn't have a chance to really study all that was going one being that I was grunting for three trucks and a digger and couldn't really focus on the details. Note: I probably didn't need to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, but it was my first day with the crew and I was a first step.

Thankk you,

Cut and kicks aren't too bad, you have to be a bit choosy about them. 2 rbd's are ideal but if you only have 1 available it can be done. I have done a few in my time. Grab the pole with an rbd, cut it off a bit above ground ( enough to pull the butt out), place pole on ground behind the butt, tie off with bull rope ( 3 ways), then clear rbd, remove old pole butt and install new pole. Then transfer eguipment or tie off to new pole. Voila all done

Drifter,
    Thanks for your input. I used the UG pulline grapevine on coax for years. Seven wraps to be precise. Never damaged he cable. I would not recomend using it or bucket hooks for anything huge. I wish our buckets had clip offs. I know the jib is good, but it is only on one side and is "supposed" to be pulled in line. As for being taught the right way, you maybe right. I personally would rather it rigged on the ground on a handline/handline with slackies, but we can't always get what we want.

As for the throw rope, they make a rubber ball version, but it is cumbersome. Like your tennis ball idea. I have never had trouble controlling the headache end.

And for the cross arm gin/made cross arm gin/friction crane, I don't know enough to comment. I only knew what we had to work with. I you can help me to know how to make and work one, I will gladly add it to my bag of tricks. And yeah 4/0 is very heavy...

FYI. I was a working foreman for Cable Services Inc. for four years. Raise and Run/Rebuild strand (messenger), overlash coax and fiber.

Another great trick/tool, If you're lashing, get a pair of vise grips and have a bug nut welded to them. Their called catch offs. You can clip them on the wire over the lashing wire and have two free hands. I know you all don't lash much, but I also know I have looked up and seen some lashed primary. Also, are the metal visegrips a safety hazard??

Also, I there any where to learn cut and kick well. I was a little surprised not to see that as a trick of the trade. Or should any respecting lineman know how to do that with his eyes closed. I have only seen it done once on storm and it seemed to work well, but I didn't have a chance to really study all that was going one being that I was grunting for three trucks and a digger and couldn't really focus on the details. Note: I probably didn't need to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, but it was my first day with the crew and I was a first step.

Thankk you,
    We lash almost all of our new secondary & we just vinyl tape the lashing until we do off our peanuts.

Featured Sponsorr

Drifter,

Thankk you,

Sponge, there are so many “tricks of the trade” and most of them you have to experience. When you see someone do something that awes you and a light bulb goes off in your head…then that trick is truly yours. You can not learn true line-work in books or a forum. The reason I will not try to explain anything technical on here is there are way to many kids just topped out trying to learn line-work out of a pickup truck, plus I think we get lots of trade school folks lurking here. By me explaining and then you not fully understanding could cause an injury or death. Learn your tricks on the job and you will always retain them..