Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

next time your changin out preforms on a guyed "v" instead of using a wood block in the angle use a peice of 3inch sch 40 to catch your steel choker... it's stronger and will last the whole job... if the squeaking bothers you spray some quick foam in it...

and for you narrowbacks and 'bution hands... a little foam in the rungs of your ladder will shut that damned whining up when your toteing a ladder on you pickup...

never put that shit on any hook ladders though!!!

Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Yessir I have... used a grunt knot and a second handline block at the bottom of the stick to get more leverage on the tug... outa hooks though ... no trucks... those old tubs can be way heavier than the new ones... what with the cu cu windings and all... thats actually a damned good trick bub...damned good...

try hanging a bracket next time... makes it even easier... you change your fulcrum an get more mechanical advantage especially if you use the grunt knot/extra block....

but then again.. hope you aint got to...

for what it's worth...

Edge
    BTW we do it out of our hooks to. I meant we had a truck but couldn't reach it. We were only able to use the jib as a speed line to zip the tubs across the Field.

Hey I like knots but the "grunt knot" ALBAT taught us is only for lite objects on a hand line. I know you have used this knot where you make a loop and stick it through a...hard hat....or I use around arrestors...and then through a half hitch over the loop so you can pull the knot out from the ground once the guy on the pole has the object?

Whats your grunt knot?

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    BTW we do it out of our hooks to. I meant we had a truck but couldn't reach it. We were only able to use the jib as a speed line to zip the tubs across the Field.

Hey I like knots but the "grunt knot" ALBAT taught us is only for lite objects on a hand line. I know you have used this knot where you make a loop and stick it through a...hard hat....or I use around arrestors...and then through a half hitch over the loop so you can pull the knot out from the ground once the guy on the pole has the object?

Whats your grunt knot?
    I beleive Copperlineman expounded on this... he called it a munter hitch I think.... it's a killer knot.. but not really a knot...

http://www.animatedknots.com/munterm...matedknots.com

thsi is it without all the extra bull crap

btw check out the site... you could learn something.... it's a good site...

Edge

Appreciate it Edge. That's a cool site, I thought I knew alot of knots?

mouse over the Load buttton thats the "grut" knot that I'm talkin bout...

linework is like making love...

friction can be your best friend... or your worst enemy...

if you dont understand then your prolly bad at both....

it's all in your rigging babe...

for what it's worth....

Edge

linework is like making love...

friction can be your best friend... or your worst enemy...

if you dont understand then your prolly bad at both....

it's all in your rigging babe...

for what it's worth....

Edge
    I agree. That's why I got into this line of work. It's such a shame seeing people at "THE COMPANY" who call themselves lineman and still can't tie a clove hitch or know what to do with it!

I never worked transmission and our union AND IT'S MEMBERS gave ours away too just recently! I would like to even though when I was an app. my journeyman(who worked it) said not to, that it was bull work and not to fun. Sure as hell sounds different reading what you type?

Ah well, someday maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    I agree. That's why I got into this line of work. It's such a shame seeing people at "THE COMPANY" who call themselves lineman and still can't tie a clove hitch or know what to do with it!

I never worked transmission and our union AND IT'S MEMBERS gave ours away too just recently! I would like to even though when I was an app. my journeyman(who worked it) said not to, that it was bull work and not to fun. Sure as hell sounds different reading what you type?

Ah well, someday maybe?
    bull work ehh?... well if it was that hard ... he was doing something wrong... 'mission work does require strength but movin wire with the bucket or by hand....lacing steel by hand...catching arms of striker... well theres some riggin involved... and that seperates the the wheat from the chaff... then theres live line... stickin bells of h structrues changing out arms and poles... riggin dead end bells with trollies... theres a hell of alot more to 'mission work then "bull work".... if thats what your JL told ya .... he aint done much...

REMEMBER IT'S ALL IN YOUR RIGGIN BABE....

I don't care if your doing station...'bution... sub mission or mission... you can be the smartest lineman that came down the pike but if you can't rig... you aint worth a fu(k imh... all you are is in a bind.... and that aint no way to do this work...

hell if you can't rig... you might as well just stand on the grond on one foot all day and watch the Lineman that can...

For what it's worth

Edge

To be a good Transmission lineman you hafta be able to rig. I dont care how big and strong you are ya aint gonna muscle much of that stuff. To a lesser degree a Distribution lineman also needs a little rigging now and again. He also may be involved in multiple circuits with multiple feeds,His head better be in the game from start to finish.Its all linework and its all good. In my mind a true Journeyman can do both equally well. I also know that this isnt the norm nowadays.

Featured Sponsorr

bull work ehh?... well if it was that hard ... he was doing something wrong... 'mission work does require strength but movin wire with the bucket or by hand....lacing steel by hand...catching arms of striker... well theres some riggin involved... and that seperates the the wheat from the chaff... then theres live line... stickin bells of h structrues changing out arms and poles... riggin dead end bells with trollies... theres a hell of alot more to 'mission work then "bull work".... if thats what your JL told ya .... he aint done much...

REMEMBER IT'S ALL IN YOUR RIGGIN BABE....

I don't care if your doing station...'bution... sub mission or mission... you can be the smartest lineman that came down the pike but if you can't rig... you aint worth a fu(k imh... all you are is in a bind.... and that aint no way to do this work...

hell if you can't rig... you might as well just stand on the grond on one foot all day and watch the Lineman that can...

For what it's worth

Edge
    Oh I understand bout riggin. In the big D we little dist lineman actually did quite a bit. Now at "THE COMPANY" they're making rope illegal. They're instructors can't hardly tie knots! I was told once by a GOOD OLE LINEMAN there's more to line work than just changing arms and tying in conductors and I know he's right! Just reading what you type bout tranny work I think shows that, but against our better judgement our unions give so much away and it hurts us all in the long run?