Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default utility worker electrocuted

Featured Sponsor

One utility worker electrocuted, one injured in Barber County

One man was electrocuted and another injured in rural Barber County on Thursday, authorities said.

Two employees of Track Utility were setting a utility pole when a gust of wind twisted the pole out of the grapple arms of the utility truck, the Barber County Sheriff’s Office reported. The pole fell into an electric line above where the employees were working.

Dakota Holt, 20, of Coulee Dam, Wash., and Michael Rowan, 29, of Garden City were holding the pole when it touched the line, the sheriff’s office said in a statement. They were both shocked by the current that passed through the pole.

Holt was taken by ambulance to the hospital in Medicine Lodge, where he died a short time later. Rowan was flown by air ambulance to a Wichita hospital for treatment of burns to his hands, feet and face. He is in serious condition in the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis.

No signs of negligence were found at the scene, authorities said.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/08/30/297...#storylink=cpy

Default What a shame

This is not the first fatality involving pole setting I've seen this year.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Umm sadly enuff people continue tp place bare hands onna pole while setting it there are so many ways this could be prevented like rubber gloves, nylon ropes tied to the butt to control it, and plenty of cover on the overhead lines.... any of em wud help

The article said there were no signs of negligance at the scene, but something is wrong when a pole can't be set in primary without a fatality, I don't know the story and don't pretend to but a 20 year old kid is dead and probably has some traumatized co-workers and family members, it's just hard to believe people are still getting killed setting poles. No disrespect intended. Thoughts and prayers to the family and co-workers. Charlie.

it is sad,setting a pole in hot primary is one of the basics....wearing rubbers is a must in any situation,that means even if the primary is covered.

Default Shame

Without being disrespectful .... THERE WAS NEGLIGENCE.... FACT !

Prayers to the family's involved... Very sad..and unnecessary ....
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Condolences to the family.

Seems there's a lot of young folk dying or gettin injured lately... Always take precautions... Hate to see somebody get hurt or die over something that could have been prevented... My prayers are with the families.

A foreman told me one day,learn from other peoples mistakes because you will never live long enough to make them all yourself.No disrespect just alot of ?????...Very sad day,thoughts and prayers to anyone who is linked to this terrible tragic event.This day an age its just not right.

Default Condolences to the family and coworkers

But I have to ask ............How? No gloves? Primary not covered? No pole plastics to cover the top of pole? Also what kind of wind would it take to cause a pole to get out of control? While this is definitely a sad, sad thing to have happened, I just do not understand how it could have happened and there not be negligence involved. Perhaps a serious lack of training/knowledge of safe procedures if nothing else.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Default We will never really know. Well not for a while.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by linemanfrog View Post
    But I have to ask ............How? No gloves? Primary not covered? No pole plastics to cover the top of pole? Also what kind of wind would it take to cause a pole to get out of control? While this is definitely a sad, sad thing to have happened, I just do not understand how it could have happened and there not be negligence involved. Perhaps a serious lack of training/knowledge of safe procedures if nothing else.
    Frog.... Seems like we can assume all of the above. From what I've seen it will be years before OSHA posts the results of the investigation on there website. Unless someone knows of something else out there??? I'd be interested in knowing......
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."