Thread: Sec

Default Sce

Featured Sponsor

I read on FaceBook of a death in a vault on SCE property. Anyone know of this?

https://www.edison.com/pressroom/pr.asp?id=8121
    Last edited by loodvig; 04-29-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

2. Default Sce

I heard today that one of the worker removed a Tap Plug on 600amp T bodies. The investigation is still ongoing. Prayers out to all the family members and crew that was hurt.

3. Default sad to hear of this fatality

condolences to his family left behind. i remember sce had a lineman who went phase to ground on a riser pole a little while ago as well hope his recovery has been good. sad accidents.

Default Brotherhood

Featured Sponsorr

http:// http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/may/05/tp-funeral-mass-was-high-voltage-brotherhood-sce/
    FUNERAL MASS WAS HIGH-VOLTAGE BROTHERHOOD SCE UTILITY WORKERS PAY TRIBUTE TO FALLEN BROTHER

More than 1,000 people crowded into St. Martha’s church in Murrieta on Thursday for a funeral Mass to honor the memory and to support the family of Jose “Raul” Ros.

And if you weren’t wearing a khaki shirt, blue jeans, work boots, and maybe even a New York Yankees baseball cap, you felt out of place.

That was the standard wardrobe for Ros, 38, the Southern California Edison lineman who died April 25 while on the job in Menifee. He leaves behind his wife, Irene, and two daughters, ages 9 and 7.

Outside the church, white SCE cars and trucks were parked for at least four blocks in each direction. At the entrance to the sanctuary, the booms on two more trucks were stretched skyward, displaying the SCE and American flags. It really was an impressive show of solidarity. The company’s workers had traveled from as far away as Orange County, Los Angeles and the desert to show their support.

Ros died from an explosion while working in an underground vault that was accessed through a manhole. Another worker in the hole suffered smoke inhalation but survived, along with two others who went in to rescue him.

The scene at the church reminded me of the inherent dangers that go along with such a job — things that we in the general public often overlook. Utility workers are assuming risks, often high above the ground and in high-voltage situations.

It reminded me of my grandfather, who was a lineman for Kansas Power and Light well into his 60s. I often went on calls with him, watching him scale those wooden poles in the dark, with about 40 pounds of equipment dangling from him, and lightning off in the distance. Yet he always came down and shrugged off the dangerous aspects of the job.

Worksafe California is an Oakland-based group that tracks workplace injuries, provides legal support, and advocates for laws protecting workers’ rights, health and safety. In its annual report released last week, Worksafe reported that 195 people had died on the job in California in 2012, and that number was expected to grow when more federal and state accident reports become available.

In reviewing annual reports, it appears that a worker’s death by explosion is extremely rare in this state. Worksafe reports also pointed out the dangers of working in enclosed spaces, and the fact that Latinos are at higher risk than most workers. But that appears to be improving with better training available to day laborers.

All of Worksafe’s annual reports can be found at the organization’s website, www.worksafe.org.

Southern California Edison’s record has been very good. According to workers outside the church, they go through extensive training, and I’m sure that Ros’ death is being taken very seriously by company officials, who didn’t respond Thursday and Friday to my request for recent fatality records.

Worksafe reports that there have been four SCE deaths in recent years. Three involved a double-homicide shooting and suicide among three SCE workers, and the other was an inspector who fell ill on the job and later died in a hospital. After the Mass on Thursday, one SCE worker with 23 years’ experience said he had never been to the funeral of a co-worker who had died because of a job-related accident. The same was true for a worker who had been with the company 17 years. They also confirmed my notion about the danger connected to their job.

“You know, after the firefighters, we’re the next ones on the scene to get the power back up,” one SCE worker said.

And they’re never quite sure what they’ll find in those situations.

Southern California Edison has donated $25,000 in a memorial fund to help the Ros family. Others can help as well by donating to the Jose “Raul” Ros Memorial Fund, c/o Edison International Community Investment, 2244 Walnut Grove Ave., Rosemead, CA 91770.

We may grouse about our bills and occasional power outages, but it’s people such as Ros and everyone else in that sanctuary Thursday who keep our computers running, our heaters and air conditioners humming, our lights on, our gas tanks pumping, our streets safe and our hospitals working.

And for that, the fellowship of electrical workers deserves a salute.
    Last edited by CPOPE; 05-07-2013 at 10:09 PM.