Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Thanks Dog
    Last edited by T-Man; 04-14-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Handle change

Post Grounds Testing

20 years ago we just cleaned the grounds once a year but didn't actually test them. Then after 1910.269 came out in the 90's we started testing. Found out real quick that all the grounds that had been made without using ferrells weren't worth much. Reworked all grounds using ferrells and rarely have a ground fail now. When we do it's usually the bolt on the ferrell has loosened and allowed grit to get between the cable and the head.

Default One Shot/ Non-Reclose

Every recloser (single phase, three phase, hydraulic, electronic) when it is set for non-reclose operates one time off of the first curve at whatever it's amperage setting maybe. Example a typical 70 amp V4L cooper hydraulic recloser will trip following an "A" time-current curve at somewhere above 140 amps plus clear time. On the other hand a 3 phase station recloser is more likely set at 400-560 amps trip using an "R" curve plus clear time. So there are no "national standards" on what currents will be seen for what length of time on any one's system. Companies have had to do the calculations in the last few years to determine minimum Arc Flash Protection Standards. So most commonly the company figures the highest fault current with the slowest curve and longest clear time used by the company. This sets your ARC flash rating.
    A few companies are beginning to look at using an alternate faster curve when the recloser/breaker is set on one shot for men working on the line but at this time I don't know anyone who has implemented such a system.

Default One Shot/ Non-Reclose

Every recloser (single phase, three phase, hydraulic, electronic) when it is set for non-reclose operates one time off of the first curve at whatever it's amperage setting maybe. Example a typical 70 amp V4L cooper hydraulic recloser will trip following an "A" time-current curve at somewhere above 140 amps plus clear time. On the other hand a 3 phase station recloser is more likely set at 400-560 amps trip using an "R" curve plus clear time. So there are no "national standards" on what currents will be seen for what length of time on any one's system. Companies have had to do the calculations in the last few years to determine minimum Arc Flash Protection Standards. So most commonly the company figures the highest fault current with the slowest curve and longest clear time used by the company. This sets your ARC flash rating.
    A few companies are beginning to look at using an alternate faster curve when the recloser/breaker is set on one shot for men working on the line but at this time I don't know anyone who has implemented such a system.

We inspect and test at least yearly. We have a Hi-Line tester, when you ust the tester, you can tell where a bad connection is by the heat. After running the test, just work you bare hand along the ground.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Maybe things have changed.I presume they test them here now....Now I can remember too many times where grounds were thrown here and there....collecting dirt and corrosion in those metal baskets on two man trucks/squirt booms.....I know others havent seen that happen...right?

Default Thanks for the info on non reclose.

I remember we had a dude that we had to use grounds for the size of fault duty current, it was some formula and there was one substation in california that would have 200000000 fault current amps on it. Calculated by load of the sub over volts, and we had to hang 4/0 grounds on number 6 and 8. It was so ignorant. You put the grounds on and they were so overweight. And there isnt a clamp manufactured for 6 or 8. We just put the on for show in case "a supervisor drove by", all loose just up for show. For 560 amps, wouldnt a 4/0 or 2/0 just be a fuse?

Default I remember doing corridor work ten years ago and we had a ground monitor.

When the 500 circuit were sizzling with high load, the induction field was so high you got burned touching everything. We had to use ground gloves and ground boots. Then the grounds had a monitor connected to the ground rod and it would send an alarm if induction was out of control. I think Bonneville had that monitor. And National Transmission. Does anybody know of the manufacturer or what its called? When the monitor went off, either you had to install more grounds or stop work which of course will never happen. If people knew of it, I think it would be really helpful when working big corridors, like Coullee, Hoover, Bessy. . . And etc. I am pretty sure Bonneville used it all the time. Bren what do you guys use in the UK when you got those corridors with EHV circuits so tight on transmission sub exit?

10. Default Hlt

Featured Sponsorr

Our company has a different setting for hot line tags. You can open the "R" switch and remove reclosing or get a "Hot Line Tag" which removes reclosing and sets the instantaneous tripping to a lower than normal value making it more sensitive and quicker to trip while crews are working on the line.