Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

There are a couple of other decent ones, Sedore comes to mind

Default We all

We all know the old insulator ... But what did you guys call that bit at the end that held the wire. I see Poot called it a dead end shoe....

Weve always called that a " SNAIL CLAMP "
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    There are a couple of other decent ones, Sedore comes to mind
    I am not familiar with them(Sedore), is there a link to check them out. This would make a good thread, insulators are obviously something we all use, but they have changed over the years and they are not all made equal. I like the K-LINEs because they are light, durable, easy to use live, can be used on arms or brackets and it works for all the wire sizes we have #4 to 556.

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    We all know the old insulator ... But what did you guys call that bit at the end that held the wire. I see Poot called it a dead end shoe....

Mechanical deadend or co-op special.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I have been installing polymeric insulators for 25 years, started using poly cutouts maybe 5 years ago, but yeah, Gumbo those old triangular shaped cutouts have been around a very long time. The sun destroyed the compound the rubber and made them brittle, Chance dead end insulators from along way back would simply melt. Have you dealt with fiberglass side mount brackets? They get brittle in the sun too.
    Yes, if you are speaking of armless construction. Chicken wings in the midwest, gull wings on the west coast, they are pretty sturdy for awhile, but like anything made of plastic or fiberglass.......they will get UVd by the sun and turn to s**t. Those old triangle durabuttes.......I always throw a clothespin on them to keep them shut while I work on that structure. I've had some bad experiences dropping Tx loads when they decide to open on you. Residents and business owners get hostile during unplanned outages. I've seen dead end bells down to the fiberglass sticks fraying.......how they didn't flash is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post

" PORK CHOP SHOE " It's what they call them in the midwest.

This is the best pic. I could find of one we use installed on a new A-5 "single phase deadend "

This is all we use ass far as deadend polys we still use glass on our everything else

Hope this helps

8. Default

Featured Sponsorr

I'm more courious about this last photo. An insulated guy link... and then grounding the guy wire? Have not seen that one before. All winter we kept busy adding links to the guys so we diddn't have to ground them! I've seen jumpers around johnny balls and then cut them out. Seems that the engineers can never make up their minds!