Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    I'd never recommend a man go to a "line school." Never. Personal opinion.
    Especially for 20K. Are you kidding me!!!

Spend some money getting a CDL, then hire on with a Line contractor like Meyers, Irby or Pike. Go from there.

Just experience, from watchin, personal experiences of men wantin to do what you're doin.....
    I'm very sorry for being this way but I would have to totally disagree

Yeah spend some money get ur CDL and then go learn a lot bad habits

Don't get me wrong on this I got a lot of friends who work for these companies but they will all tell u they didn't get near the experience they needed to do what they do they were just the lucky ones that didn't get hurt or killed yeah working in the bucket 6 months after they started

Lets put it this way what would you have done if you guys hadn't went to elementary,grammar,junior high, and high school etc etc etc etc etc etc.....................

I know that pike and some of the others ain't the only ones getting people hurt but u sure see a hell of a lot of accidents from these outfits and I know alot of this is lack of EXPERIENCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to school man they will be a lot of union and nonunion companies there to hire you when u graduate,the good thing about school is they will teach u the basics of this trade so u kinda know what is a big no no!!!!!!! Instead of jumping in head first not having a clue and learning some very bad habits

Just my 2 cents

Still think 20K is a lot;too much.One school I looked at their fees was $12,000.That included tuition,training manual,climbing gear and certification.

3. Default

ya this school is 12000 with gear everything. but i goto pay my bills while im gone so probably less than 20000 just a ball park

Default Go!

go to school... i did, now im on my way to making that big 100-200k a year to do an awesome job that i love. took a couple years of working for a **** contractor to get to a good power co. I guarantee ya if i didnt go to lineschool id still be wishing i could get hired....do ya really want it or just kinda?

5. Default

ya i want the career, the fact that everyday comes with new challenges. im pretty hyped up bout it just wanted to ask a few of u guys thanx for all the help ga hear i come

Sent u a pm

It really depends on what your experience is, if you dont have any line work or related construction experience, i would consider going to a school... maybe not one that expensive though? I was at line school last year because 5 years prior to that i tried getting on with utilities thinking my prior climbing/underground/ pole experience from the cable company would help me out a little and it didnt. I got my interview for an apprenticeship during school, explained to them ive spent money, time away from home, and all that good stuff just to hopefully show them im serious about the trade. If i didn't have that i dont think i would of been the 3 that got hired on out of the 30+ they interviewed.

Another option is maybe doing some legit groundman work. Id also stay away from companies like pike, bird, and other unsafe contractors, not only can they put u in harm by letting you do things you probably shouldnt, but ive seen quite a bit of work by companies like them that had to be redone and was flat out wrong... not saying all non union contractors are like that, but make sure you look up safety records of companies before applying for them... the few people that ive known worked for pike have washed out of the company i work for currently for not being able to follow simply safety rules because they were stuck with old habits.

Featured Sponsorr

Will this school help you find work when you get out?
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!