Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Cool Ever seen anything like this ?

Featured Sponsor

My latest project.
    Took an old transformer heading to the scrap yard. I removed the oil and core to lighten it up. The old transformers like this had mostly brass nuts, bolts, and other parts.
    When I got it, of course the patina had really set in, but I knew I could buff out the brass and make her shine again. I originally was going to fix it up and hang it on my shed. I got busy and totally stripped it down, buffed out the brass and stainless, taped off the original manufactures logo and the #5 KVA number and added paint.

Then I got my hands on a antique street light fixture.
    I thought it would be cool to mount the light on the transformer. I then thought how cool would it be if you turn on the transformer switch the light would come on? So I wired it so it did.

2. Default

I have since replaced the taped PE cell with a shunt PE cell

3. Default

I looked up the pole number when the transformer was installed, 1956. Our system is 7200.
    None of our new transformers are the old gap type, nor do they have all that cool looking brass !!

It is nice...just gotta ask....do you turn that light off and on with that reset handle....if so do you use a kick-stick while you are sitting down watching tv?

Blog Entries

I've taken many if those down over the years, nice job!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    It is nice...just gotta ask....do you turn that light off and on with that reset handle....if so do you use a kick-stick while you are sitting down watching tv?
    Yes, the light works off the transformer reset switch. I don't use a switch stick though

Very nice job. Great for a line hands rec room. We had a DC system way back when I first started and all those old DC meters were removed and some of those old glass encased brass meters turned into some really nice lamps. Wish I had a picture of one of them. That old stuff restored and shined up is just cool looking.

I've changed out and or replaced a few of those old pots myself through the years, but had never thought of doing anything like that with one, you did a nice job with it, congratulations. Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I've changed out and or replaced a few of those old pots myself through the years, but had never thought of doing anything like that with one, you did a nice job with it, congratulations. Charlie.
    I wonder how many wives would like them inside the house

Featured Sponsorr

Man that is awesome wished I had one in my living room like this

It would be like murdering someone if I took a pot like that to the house but we are still taking a lot of these down we still have a bunch on our system pots that is

I got a good pic for y'all ill post when I find it I took it down about six month ago