PDA

View Full Version : screwing in anchors

kooman
07-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I was at a neighboring system helping on a storm job a while back, and they screw in all their anchors straight up and down, no angle at all, the guys say thats how they do all of them, i was just amazed that they do this, has anyone else seen this or do this?

lewy
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
No & do they realize the rod is going to bend?

kooman
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
No & do they realize the rod is going to bend?

exactly what i was thinking, not to mention they will continue to bend under the strain and the guys will all loosen.

bren guzzi
07-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I was at a neighboring system helping on a storm job a while back, and they screw in all their anchors straight up and down, no angle at all, the guys say thats how they do all of them, i was just amazed that they do this, has anyone else seen this or do this?

Seen it done in a few places like that.... A lot depends on the ground and type of anchor ..
Up here the dug in anchors are positioned at an angle facing the top of the pole... But when we drill in a rock stay its completely the other way round. We drill them at a 45 degree angle away from the pole...so it will pull against the rock as it only has a straight one inch rod ( that we fix into the ground with resin)

T-Man
07-12-2012, 06:15 PM
All the anchors I have seen set are at an angle toward the pole. Years ago we were using expandable anchors that you pound to break the wire holding the leaves or pedals of the anchor then you bang it till it's as wide open as you can get it, Then back fill the hole. The newer ones were screw type that you added a kelly bar to the digger and stuck the rod up in it and drill the anchor in at an angle. We also had swamp anchors that had a log or pole chunk on the end and we'd set those in loose conditions by excavating a hole large enough to drop it in.

Then on sets where you couldn't use an anchor due to it being out in a plowed field we'd set a stiff leg or dead man or push pole.

Now all I mentioned all had angles toward the pole and I just can't see (except for Brens example) how you could get an anchor to hold an angle being set straight up. You could pull the guy tight but as soon an you sagged your wire you would pull the anchor over!

Pootnaigle
07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmm in the soil conditions here , setting an anchor straight up n down would be sure to leave you with a leaner. It may last until the first rain, But as soon as the soil gets soft its Gonna come over. I have seen multi helix anchors 30 ft deep set that way lean right over after the first rain.Its best to try and duplicate the angle tween the anchor and the point of attachment in these parts

reppy007
07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
yea thats the way we do it,at an angle,usually helix for our 34.5 ....installed many extensions,the old rule was keep going till you cant go any deeper.....had a few kelly shafts break...had to do some by hand,now that what I call fun ....in the middle of the summer:tired:

duckhunter
07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Always at an angle, never seen it done straight up.

T-Man
07-16-2012, 07:16 AM
I was away for the weekend in Indiana to a wedding, in fact the church was across the street from Duke Power in Plainfield and in the running around I noticed the only application I know where we would have installed a straight up and down anchor. . . . A "Sidewalk Guy", haven't seen one of those in awhile. The ones I saw down there had the standoff brace about 4 feet below the primary arm and there was no sidewalk, but I'm guessing they had some right of way issues on those properties and installed them like that so as to not have a guy 20 feet into the yard.

STLmo1986
07-17-2012, 05:52 AM
I noticed some sidewalk guys the other night at work when i was driving down a road down south. Only noticed cause i was reading this thread earlier in the day.

rob8210
07-17-2012, 05:55 AM
We do sidewalk struts on a regular basis, even on those I will angle the anchor a little bit , but straight up and down will work decent too.

Bipeflier
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM

CHANCE (now Hubbell) has an Anchoring Encyclopedia on their website http://www.abchance.com/resources/literature/encyclopedia/049401B.pdf

Here is a clip from page B-13 "Type RR (Round-Rod) anchors torque rating is 2,300 ft-lb.
Ultimate tension rating for RR mechanical strength is 70,000
lb. Failure to install within 5° of alignment with the guy load
will significantly lower strength."

And page B-47 had pictures of correct installations.

birdog37
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Always at an angle,the pole will be on its face unless you raked it allot.The only time i was taught to go straight was on a hand dug anchor because the anchor was pulling against undisturbed dirt.Even then you would bust the anchor and push it over as far as ya could and back fill hole and tamp with rod @ an angle.

bobbo
07-28-2012, 06:42 AM

When I have to bust through a good layer of rock and straight up will give me the pressure to do it. If you dont aim at where its attached. After a good rain or a winter, that top is going to move and the guy will be slack. Mother nature and gravity will make that move. Their deadend will be over a couple of pole tops. Its all cool, probably utility guys who came up with a stupid idea. The good thing is their property is probably **** and we will make some money. I love stupid people in this trade, especially ilities. They think they are great and they suck. And when bad weather comes their **** craftmanship cant handle the elements of nature
Where I see this is in Chicago or New York. Someone told them this is the best way, straight up and down, tbat idiot is probably promoted to head engineer or line superintendent.