PDA

View Full Version : Hey lineman...why the ego's and arrogance?

JourneyHand
06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm fairly recently topped-out and still getting use to 'acting' like a journeyman...I guess. I'm often told that I'm to nice and I just don't get it. It drives me crazy to watch some of these guys deal with others. I don't really get off on talking down to my operators and groundmen like most do. I feel I get more out of my guys by asking them to do something rather than telling them to do something. I had one of my groundman ask me; "Why are you so cool to us. You actually show us respect." I told him; "Dude, I see you as just another man, I don't think you're lesser a person because of your classification, I'm man enough to earn your trust rather than demand it and hide behind my JL ticket."

Whatever happen to; TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY YOU WOULD EXPECT TO BE TREATED.
Come on guys, we weren't always at the top of the food chain. Remember that a$$hole that use to scream and yell and treat you like a punk? Don't be that guy!

Bighorn Ape
06-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Ya that's the foremans job! Lol

Respect for your team members will work wonders when everyone is on the same page..

JourneyHand
06-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Ya that's the foremans job! Lol

Respect for your team members will work wonders when everyone is on the same page..

True.
problem I've found is that most foreman are the same way and the ones that aren't don't have the balls to say something to a journeyman when he's being a d!ck and out of line.

bren guzzi
06-06-2012, 01:43 AM
HEY ! Smiler, stop rocking the boat ya. F@@king rebel. ;)

Love you too. " I am resplendent in your divergence"

Keep it up . "Thumbs up". MMMMMWWAAAAAHH

reppy007
06-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Well said JH...........bren you still awake?

bren guzzi
06-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Well said JH...........bren you still awake?

NOT still awake...... Just up, nearly 7am "gmt. Normally leave here 6.30am. But new digs are closer to site.. We start work at 7.30 ... Having my first coffee of the day. Looks like rain today. But no worries we are only moving yards today. Trucks loaded up with the first of our cabins (allways the mess room and toilets first). Then we are shuttling over the equipment etc during the day. :)

reppy007
06-06-2012, 02:30 AM
NOT still awake...... Just up, nearly 7am "gmt. Normally leave here 6.30am. But new digs are closer to site.. We start work at 7.30 ... Having my first coffee of the day. Looks like rain today. But no worries we are only moving yards today. Trucks loaded up with the first of our cabins (allways the mess room and toilets first). Then we are shuttling over the equipment etc during the day. :)

Ok.130 am here,,,,,stay dry,and have a good day..........you know,if you were in midland,TX.....you could get some sun,,,stay safe.

duckhunter
06-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm fairly recently topped-out and still getting use to 'acting' like a journeyman...I guess. I'm often told that I'm to nice and I just don't get it. It drives me crazy to watch some of these guys deal with others. I don't really get off on talking down to my operators and groundmen like most do. I feel I get more out of my guys by asking them to do something rather than telling them to do something. I had one of my groundman ask me; "Why are you so cool to us. You actually show us respect." I told him; "Dude, I see you as just another man, I don't think you're lesser a person because of your classification, I'm man enough to earn your trust rather than demand it and hide behind my JL ticket."

Whatever happen to; TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY YOU WOULD EXPECT TO BE TREATED.
Come on guys, we weren't always at the top of the food chain. Remember that a$$hole that use to scream and yell and treat you like a punk? Don't be that guy!

Way to break from the mold! If we always do what we always did, we'll always get what we always got! The guys that are arrogant and have big egos would be the same way if they worked at Walmart! Some peole have pesronal failings that they are trying to make up for. Congrats on topping out, sounds like you will be a hell of a good hand!

JourneyHand
06-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Way to break from the mold! If we always do what we always did, we'll always get what we always got! The guys that are arrogant and have big egos would be the same way if they worked at Walmart! Some peole have pesronal failings that they are trying to make up for. Congrats on topping out, sounds like you will be a hell of a good hand!

Hey thanks duckhunter!
You're absolutely right...we have many troubled people in our trade

BigClive
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Generally speaking the loudest and most obnoxious are also physically very small.

Poisoned dwarves as we say in the UK.

duckhunter
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Small enough to put in a toolbox? LMAO!

reppy007
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Small enough to put in a toolbox? LMAO!

Now that was a good one.....ohh that toolbox.

JourneyHand
06-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Generally speaking the loudest and most obnoxious are also physically very small.

Poisoned dwarves as we say in the UK.

Haha...we call that little man syndrome here in southern california.
We just have a lot of "punks" that get in the trade here. They have almost no social skills; I imagine many were bullied and teased growing up, some had 'daddy issues'. They top out and are thrown into a position of power and suddenly they're taking all their frustration out on anyone that will allow it....It's just pathetic.

climbsomemore
06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
investigation into the past of some people will show that some of those di&ckeads where junk apprentices that should have never made it

Humble is not equal to a pushover. Treat people as you would like to be treated

LostArt
06-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Why the egos and arrogance? It's always baffled me through the years. I think it must be with any trade really. Not just linemen.

My husband likes to pick and tease. Always has. If he picks on you, you know you are considered a friend. Just the other night I over heard him and Purdy (our young neighbor who works in a local utility power plant) going back and forth on whose job is the most important. Purdy starts with how he has climbed higher than any lineman he knows has. Then here comes my hubby with, "You are Homer Simpson man. You have sticky notes to tell you what button to hit." :D

It's never ending. Arragance? Egos? I thought most men have that! :D

bobbo
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Its gotten to the point I do everything. Work picture has been so good for too long that men forgot how to work. Its easier too politick, stab backs, and gossip than just go to work. Setting poles and we hit bedrock at 4 feet. We hit both sides of the old pole.with the auger to get the deepest we could then hand dig with a compressor and a rock bar to get the other 2 and a half. This JL called every pole we set and he wanted it closer to the old pole. Our new pole was in line, all single phase tangents, road access in fields.This moron called every time. Ummm. . .I guess his wrist was hurting to carry a pole top pin and a neutral spool, and two tie wires, and to move the pistol grip an extra foot to transfer and cut the old pole. WTF! These guys hang out in the trailer for an hour and gossip. By the time they get out of the yard, we will have a pole set. And now I just transfer it myself, so I dont have the headaches or the bull****. Instead of knocking on twenty doors and taking outages I will parallel. I really dont think these guys can parrallel. I dont care anymore, my partner is an older hand he doesnt care anymore either. We just work and get **** done. I figured that gossip, backstabbing, arrogance. . . Is just lack of ability, confidence and their weaknesses. . .I know I have done every tough transfer and tough set. My gf knows it. He listens to the fags all bellyaching. He knows whose working and whose worthless. He lets them talk away and shovel their own graves. . .hopefully you guys got a gf like my gf. When you are a three man crew outproducing three four man crews. The numbers dont lie. Its really easy too look good here and I am not even trying. Just imagine if I really tried. Instead ounces of bull****, arrogance and backstabbing, it would be pounds and tons. If they are talking about you, then you are successful. They will bring up a bad day you had 10 years ago, dig up anything about you. . .Guess what it doesnt matter. . .Dont care and dont get caught up with it. The only thing that matters is what you do tommorrow! Good luck and kick ass gentleman!

T-Man
06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
In my expieraince the ones that were the D---heads were the ones that had self esteme issues. I tried to treat people right and when I was a trainer and someone came to me saying so and so was a d'head I'd say learn from him and don't treat your help like that remember how it felt. and sooner or later that nob will get his. . .they always do.

When I was a lineman in training we had a training rig where trainees would work real world jobs lead by a foreman and a training lineman. We'd do dead work on primary restrings or new lines into subdivisions and hot secondary work like replacing 3 wire opens with triplex drops. I was the lowest in senority out of the three trainees on the crew and we hung a transformer on a new stick. We set up and I had to take the work signs down the road and get back for a tailboard so I hustled. When I got back the foreman set out the standard book and had a review of how this pole would look. I was to be on the pole with another trainee and I went up first. Got up to the top, tied off the hand line and waited for the second trainee to come up. He got up there and asked me what were the hole locations? I said didn't you get the info at the tailboard? He said that's what I got you for!

When we were all done we started cleaning up and he pulled the "you make up the tr blocks I've got senority". Just a knob.

This guy pulled that sort of crap for about 3 or 4 years. He went to the Trouble department just before I did and and got fired for stealing a government tax refund check off a customers table and trying to cash it at his bank where they knew he wasn't the person on the check. . . .A real goof. . .I moved up one in senority that day.

Sometimes you just can't get past one like this but they usually work themselves off the property.

reppy007
06-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a total goofball T-man,took a check and tried to cash it,how much time did this jerk have anyway?

T-Man
06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh I guess he was a lineman for two or three years and a trouble shooter for maybe the same before he pulled that stunt.

Volcom
06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
This is the same mentality out of town, everyone is there to help and get the lights on but at the bar or dinner they act like Dbags, no one is better than anyone local or contractor, I talk and hang w anyone, and treat my guys good, we need to treat all lineman the same respect but it's still fun to f$&? W them when they screw up.

reppy007
06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh I guess he was a lineman for two or three years and a trouble shooter for maybe the same before he pulled that stunt.

That kind of explains it as far as i am concerned.....jy for two-or three years then a troubleshooter.....troubleshooting ...let me back up a good troubleshooter has to be there longer that that to know the ins and outs..i once knew a guy that was on the secondary side of a urd transformer change out....a lineman told him it didnt look right...well he explodes and says he is now a JY....it was his first day as a Jy .....YOU GUESSED IT...the older lineman was right and the new Jy burned up the customers a/c.........here in the south the a/c has to be working.

reppy007
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
This is the same mentality out of town, everyone is there to help and get the lights on but at the bar or dinner they act like Dbags, no one is better than anyone local or contractor, I talk and hang w anyone, and treat my guys good, we need to treat all lineman the same respect but it's still fun to f$&? W them when they screw up.

the only way to actually tell if a guy is good at his job is in the field...anybody can b/s on a forum,and we all have our own mistakes,but the guys that think linework needs them are full of you know what?

BookII
06-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Good post!

Part of being a Journeyman Lineman is acting like a man!!!

That means being a PROFESSIONAL!!! If you're an IBEW Journeyman Lineman, you're an ambassador not only to the trade, but to Henry Miller as well.

It's not a sense of self entitlement. It's something that one should take pride in.

The IBEW is not a gang or some reality t.v. biker gang.

But it seems like here in So-Cal we've got a handful of punks running around. Wanna be bad asses that have'nt been any where but to the tattoo parlor.

It's shameful to see what our trade has turned into...

reppy007
06-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Good post!

Part of being a Journeyman Lineman is acting like a man!!!

That means being a PROFESSIONAL!!! If you're an IBEW Journeyman Lineman, you're an ambassador not only to the trade, but to Henry Miller as well.

It's not a sense of self entitlement. It's something that one should take pride in.

The IBEW is not a gang or some reality t.v. biker gang.

But it seems like here in So-Cal we've got a handful of punks running around. Wanna be bad asses that have'nt been any where but to the tattoo parlor.

It's shameful to see what our trade has turned into...

now thats funny ,or he has ear-rings near his eye-lids,,,,what did that guy say in that post ....cool ,yes cool :D