PDA

View Full Version : store room or open stcck

reppy007
04-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Years ago at the utility ,everything that you needed had to come from the storeroom,just more paper work for the smallest items...like insulinks,tape,ect.....they finally did something that made sense and put all the material that we ordered the most into another room and you could just walk in and get what you needed,we called that open stock......guess some places still want everything that is ordered out on paper,FP&L was like that when I was there. Do you guys have to go through alot to get material that you almost use everyday or is it simplified were you walk in and walk out with all the goodies?

Pootnaigle
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Ummmmm we had a tiny lil room with hardware innit and connectors n such, Cutouts, Fuse links,Squirrel gaurds, Bug spray, wasp spray,tape, Lubricants,Paper towels, and most of the stuff normally used to stock a truck. They would charge like 50 of some items and maybe 10 of another out of the storeroom and into this lil mini room and from there it was free access .During the day someone from the storeroom would restock it for the following day. It worked out really well especially after hours when the storeroom was unattended and locked up tight.

reppy007
04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Ummmmm we had a tiny lil room with hardware innit and connectors n such, Cutouts, Fuse links,Squirrel gaurds, Bug spray, wasp spray,tape, Lubricants,Paper towels, and most of the stuff normally used to stock a truck. They would charge like 50 of some items and maybe 10 of another out of the storeroom and into this lil mini room and from there it was free access .During the day someone from the storeroom would restock it for the following day. It worked out really well especially after hours when the storeroom was unattended and locked up tight.

Back in the days we were using so much terri towels that they estimated it was 1 million dollars a year that they were missing........I said use,but I meant take if you know what I mean.....the centers with lots of urd would use way more than the mainly overhead centers....and they took more cause it was ordered out more............thats one item that wasnt in the open stock area....but as the guys were taking towels the higher ups were taking the bigger prizes,like maybe a boat in their backyard.....must have went fishing and forgotten to bring it back to the company...i bet thats what happened:D

rob8210
04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Job I did recently was pole changeouts. The utility would send the material out on a skid for each job, of course they would get lots of the material wrong. They would send out the material to the standards for new construction. Transformer poles were the worst, always the wrong ampacts. I fought hard for 4 months to get a truck stock just to deal with these problems. Job I was on a few years ago material was all free access, I could always keep a truck stocked to deal with the everyday surprises like the wire size is wrong, and I was always ready for that next job ahead.

Pootnaigle
04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Ummmmmm One hazta wunder how much time and money is wasted by utilities trying to pinch pennies and attempt to dole out every last thing needed to complete a job on a job by job basis. They also did that where I worked and there was never to my knowledge the proper stuff supplied. They should realize that as soon as there aint material to do the job with, all Forward progress comes to a halt.Its for this reason I call em pennywise but dollar dumb.

rob8210
04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Yep, but even worse ,Poot , it was a contractor trying to go that route. The stockeeper at the time thought it was all coming out of his own pocket. The company got the point when I told them it wouldn't take me very long to get $100,000 worth of work 90% done and being held up on $5.00 parts. Of course you don't get paid til the work is done and passed. To me thats a lot of money waiting on some small part.

reppy007
04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I know that Centerpoint is pretty good at getting the crews the right material,that might have been because of some focus group,who knows......but on the other side they may not furnish the contractors the things that they need,some dont understand that the contractor is actually on their side and trying to complete a job that is as important as their crews......I noticed that the Fp&L store room guys were better to me than some of the other contractors,and that was maybe cause I would tell them stories about Centerpoints operations.......who knows?

Swamprat
04-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I got a "different" take on reppy's post.

I thought he was talkin about, basically, employees checkin out stuff, and takin it home for personal use. The "Stuff" that was Freely accesable. Towels, Scotch 88 or 33 electrical tape, etc.
"Back in the days we were using so much terri towels that they estimated it was 1 million dollars a year that they were missing........I said use,but I meant take if you know what I mean..."

It's no wonder companys have to monitor EVERYTHING that goes out of their storerooms nowdays.

I can definately say, I have been "given" some "company work gloves" and a few other items, that should NOT have been given to Contractors. But...."It is what it is".

And that's why the "Rules" have been tightened. Bottom Line? MONEY.

It IS what makes the world go round ya know.:)

Capt Bly
04-26-2012, 01:52 AM
six of everything on the truck.100 of each in the yard.You could hand us any job,and not have the mtl. ordered,and we could almost have it complete by the time the new stuff arrives.The good old days of a G.C. "heavy crew"