PDA

View Full Version : advice on the lineman career

Future Lineman
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
im a 16 soon to be 17 year old junior in high school, my step dads a lineman and ive been wanting to be one for 3 or 4 years now, as soon as i get out of college im goin to school for it. it dont take a rocket scientist to realize our economy isnt exactly in the best shape, but ive put some thought into it and id figured linework would still be a good line of work to get in, as long as theres mothernature and telephone polls, there will always be a need for a lineman. am i right?

Meat
05-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Sonny you used the "T" word.

tramp67
05-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Check out the apprentices and wannabes forum.

CPOPE
05-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Sonny you used the "T" word.

THey always call em telephone poles until they fall down, then who do they call?

LostArt
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
THey always call em telephone poles until they fall down, then who do they call?

Who they gonna call???

Line Busters! :D

Oh good grief........now I have the Ghost Buster song in my head!!

BigClive
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM
This song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHFVTQKqdQ

Future Lineman
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Good point man, its a habit ill eventually break, i promise im not an idiot!

Future Lineman
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Check out the apprentices and wannabes forum.

Wannabe's?

darrell kuhn
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey young man, in the last 32 years in the I.B.E.W i have worked with a handfull of young people who spent 3-8 years in collage just to end up on the end of a shovel right next to me. Think about that and got with it-

mx-5
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
kid,this kinda work is tough and very dangerous..think hard about it..i have been doing this for 25 years.and although it has provided me with a very comfortable living for my family it is definitely not the same..benefits with company's are being taken away at an alarming rate.up to and including retirement,something you may not worry about @ 17,but you will..is it satisfying,you bet.to get people back their power after a long outage due to a storm is very gratifying and most do appreciate it,among other reasons..all i can say is if you do go this route make sure you get the best training available,and ask lot's of questions...good luck on your decision..

LostArt
05-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Wannabe's?

Tramp means here:

http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

There is nothing wrong with being a telephone lineman. But, you are on a site that is mostly POWERlinemen. :D

I know of a student who graduated four years ago from our high school that is in the apprentice program right now. I knew he was serious before he graduated. He kept knocking and even did some summer surveying for CE. Then was a meter reader while a guy was out for surgery. He showed all the signs he was very serious.

Sure, you are young. These ole coots were young once too! :D If you are serious, never give up....keep on knocking. Do you know anyone in KY that is in this line of work?

Twink
05-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Economy is bad right now and the job isn’t recession proof. There’s quite a lot of linemen out of work everywhere. Thousands of apprentices held up in the pipeline and VERY few being put on. Utilities aren’t hiring having already had pick of the litter months ago for any shortage they might have had.

If I were you, I would look into a 2 year degree in outside electrical then apply for an IBEW apprenticeship. Not only will the degree get your foot in the door for the IBEW, but quite a few utilities also require a 2yr degree along with the apprenticeship. Would also benefit you for promotional opportunities down the road. You might however want to talk to an IBEW rep and see once you graduate, how many credits from your apprenticeship would transfer over to your degree. No use in doing something twice…but it’s really a paradox cause you don’t have a degree then to hedge your way in.

Competition is tough right now and it takes a little more than a good name to get in now. Have to stand out somehow...

LostArt
05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Competition is tough right now and it takes a little more than a good name to get in now. Have to stand out somehow...

Yeah, use a name like Twink and no one is gonna be messin' with ya. Sound advice.

*wink, wink*

Future Lineman
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Well im wantin to go to SLTC, and my step dads been a lineman for bluegrass energy and the city. Ive picked up quite a bit from him. this is the career ive got my mind set on and if i got to go around the world to do so i will. I know what all the job requires and i know it will put me to the test,but ive always liked a challenge

Remmy
05-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Good luck with your decision. I think it is a wise one. I wish I had started pursuing it earlier. My reccomendation is to go down to your local I.B.E.W Office and submit an application as soon as you are 18. Even if you go to college for a couple years start trying to get in to an apprenticeship as soon as possible. The longer you try the more likely you'll get in and it shows them how much you want it.

IN THE SHADOWS
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Journeyman Lineman is the absolute best and most rewarding trade in the world. Huge shortage of JL will be occuring in the next 4-5 years with the "baby boomers" retiring,so the demand is there.

Like someone else said, your not gonna get rich but a damn good way to provide a comfortable life for you and your future family.

It is NOT a trade for just anybody who walks in the door. If all you are looking at is the wages...forget it. You got to WANT to do linework.

BTW...a telephone pole is where someone calls you up and asks you questions:D

Tsplice
05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I've given this advice to quite afew men over the years and it has worked for many.I know that it sounds "desperate" to a few,but if you want to get in the door with a co-op or I.O.utility you might try to sign on as a meter reader to get your foot in the door and sign up for an app.opening when one comes up.If you ever work for one of the afformentioned entities,you will need to learn how to read meters anyway,and it puts you in a good position when oppertunity knocks.Just a suggestion,but I know of a few people that spent a lot of money to attened a college for lineman training,just to realize after awhile,that it wasn't for them!At any rate---GOOD LUCK,KID!!!:D

CPOPE
05-24-2009, 07:27 AM
I started in the trade and then had to go back to school to advance. Do yourself a favor and don;t make the mistake I made. This is a 2 year program that will give you an associate degree before you start. Much easier to get the degree and then start than work your way through school working full time.

It is a huge advantage that your dad is in the trade.

Bunker Hill Community College

Overview
In partnership with NSTAR, Bunker Hill Community College, and Local 369 UWUA, students can achieve a two-year Accredited Associate in Science Degree with a focus on Electric Power Utility Technology. Students will conduct much of their laboratory training at an NSTAR facility. Most classroom course work will be conducted at BHCC. ADMISSION CRITERIA: Students must apply to the program through the Advising Counseling Center (B108) and: 1. Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate. 2. Complete Fundamentals of Algebra (MAT095) or place into College Algebra (MAT195). 3. Achieve a reading level of 10th grade of higher on the College Placement Test (CPT). 4. Qualified applicants undergo a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and a drug and alcohol test before being accepted to the program. 5. Qualified applicants must participate in a 2-week pole climbing camp, facilitated by NSTAR during the summer.
Career Outlook:
Based on a student’s grades, skills, and attitude, employment opportunities exist with NSTAR or an NSTAR qualified contractor upon graduation. Current starting salary is approximately $23 to $25 per hour, and overtime is also compensated. NSTAR offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package including: health and dental care, life insurance, pension plan, 401K plan (including company matching program), as well as continuing education reimbursement.
Upon completetion of this program graduates will be able to:
Demonstrate practiced and acquired skills while working at NSTAR in a variety of electrical fields with emphasis on the Overhead Line Worker.
Use a computer to access data and information.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Obtain licenses from NSTAR. Students will earn the following certifications:
OSHA 1910.269 Regulations.
First Aid/CPR.
Pole-Top, Vault Rescue, Bucket Truck Rescue.
CDL Pre-trip Training.
DL Class B Drivers License.
D.O.T. Medical Certification.
COURSE TITLE COURSE NUMBER SEMESTER TAKEN CREDITS PREREQUISITES
College Writing I ENG111 3 ENG095 or placement
Topics in Algebra & Trigonometry MAT193 3 MAT095 or placement
DC Circuit Theory/Lab ETT101 4 Pre or Coreq: MAT193
Fundamentals of Single Phase & Polyphase Metering ITB151 4 Acceptance in Program
College Writing II ENG112 3 ENG111
Applications/Concepts CIT110 3 RDG095 or ESL098
Group Dynamics PSY107 3
AC Circuit Theory/Lab ETT104 4 ETT101
Overview of Underground and Substation Operations ITB153 4 Acceptance in Program
Electric Power/Utility Tech Internship ITB251 4 ITB151 and ITB153
Intro to Mass Media VMA111 3 ENG095 and MAT090
Fundamentals of Overhead Linework I ITB253 4 ITB251
Fundamentals of Overhead Linework II ITB255 4 ITB251
Power and Distribution Systems ITB257 3 ETT104
Intro to Physics PHY191 4 MAT193
Humanities From Area 6 3
Intermediate Overhead Linework I ITB259 4 ITB253 and ITB255
Intermediate Overhead Linework II ITB261 4 ITB253 and ITB255
TOTAL CREDITS 64