PDA

View Full Version : Stuff about toolz

huskietoolz82
07-14-2008, 09:56 AM
So over the weekend i was speaking with a lineman from Naperville IL, and he proceded to tell me that the battery operated tools were crap and that hand tools were just the way to go. I countered his negative comment with the fact that it has been proven that using hand tools shortens a career and causes permenant damages to the body from consistant use of certain muscles. just looking for someone elses opinion...

mainline
07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
I think that guy has bumped his head. Battery tools that reduce the stress on your body are a huge improvement on older hand tools.

grizzlybuck
07-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but my shoulders, elbows and back appreciate battery powered tools.

The Batteries could be better, but as long as you are diligent in charging them and have a spare or two, the tools are great.

Fiberglass Cowboy
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
:cool: When you were crimping (md-6) a connector or cutting wires,or running nuts (tightening) down,or cutting large wire or guy wire,or cutting bolts,or cranking down and turining on a brace and bit, it was a two (2) handed operation. It is NO MORE. Now it is just a one haned operation for all of these. We have battery operated tools that will do all of that. As i have said before,thank God the "old days" are gone.

P.S. No offense to any old-timers not liking or not familiar with battery -operated tools.

Later gator. :cool:

Stick-it
07-15-2008, 08:19 PM
You can press a lot faster with a wood handle MD6. Battery is the way to go no doubt, but when you have 50 presses to make, you can't compete with the wood.

TRAMPLINEMAN
07-15-2008, 08:39 PM
You can press a lot faster with a wood handle MD6. Battery is the way to go no doubt, but when you have 50 presses to make, you can't compete with the wood.

Pressing, yes. Cutting, no. We have about a dozen GREENLEE, hands down the best cutters available, battery cutters. They are just as fast as ratchet cutters on large conductors and your finger never gets worn out.

Trbl639
07-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Pressing, yes. Cutting, no. We have about a dozen GREENLEE, hands down the best cutters available, battery cutters. They are just as fast as ratchet cutters on large conductors and your finger never gets worn out.

I hear ya Tramp.....had a Gator, but traded it in for an Inline Burndy Patriot, got a set of cutter dies for it, up to 4/0..........I wouldn't trade that inline in for anything.........my shoulders don't hurt near as much as they used to now!!!

I leave the big wire to the crews nowdays......:D:D:D