PDA

View Full Version : I failed a brother.

billfoster67
08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I failed a brother. I let others make a judgement about a brother, drug use, totally on innuendo and rumor. I took that as true, which it wasn't. Instead of confronting him, I did the cowardly thing and walked away. I didn't talk to him, didn't help him, didn't see why he was miserable or acting funny. I let the rumor spread- and it was a false rumor.

I was worried about him. I worked a job with him and he was partnered with a user. I saw him just totally miserable and irritable. I made a judgement that was wrong, I let other people make their assessment of it and I did the same thing. I was a coward.

Last night he gave me a call and I found out all the information why his behavior changed. Why he was miserable and found out the truth. I made a misjudgement.

Even if he did use I should have been there for him. I should have been a friend. And quelled the rumor-makers.

We all get in those situations. Where we have idiot foreman- try to make names for themselves and the guys underneath are miserable themselves. I had that a lot of times. But you cant just drag because your wife and kids need that paycheck more than you. And you keep on going, the hall never visits- won't nip the problem. You keep on working waiting for a better call or a better job.

If anyone needs help, I will be there. Instead of drugs to anethetize me, I take deep breaths and say little prayers to help me through. I made a rule that I have upheld if I work for a screamer- I grab my tools and go.

I made a horrible mistake and I ask for forgiveness. MP in Washington state forgive me. And anyone who needs help in those situations, give me a call I don't care where you are- who you are I will help in anyway- 310-404-7160.

I am proud that I have helped a lot of lineman through out 12 years in this trade. Get them lawyers when they needed it. Give them money. Find them work as planners safety men when they can't work any more. I have a lot of friends in this trade, you men are my family.

Case in point, my own family whom I have helped over the years. My sister is an alchoholic. I bought her kids school clothes, sent her money. The same for my mom. When I was in a bind, my family didn't help- my lineman brothers did. They offered a place to stay- cash to stay afloat. You men out there are my family. And anyone who knows me know I am dedicated to this trade. I learned my lesson and will never be a coward again. I owe you men so much, and I will never quit you again.

Orgnizdlbr
08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Brother, we all make mistakes, Lord knows I have in my 35 years in the trade. It's easy to fall into a trap, you found that out. The trick is to learn by our mistakes, looks to me like you learned a lesson with this situation. You also sound like a guy who most guys here would want as a pole partner, dont be too hard on yourself.....you're on the right track.

butterbean
08-10-2007, 07:22 AM
wow! you are a hell of a man! i'm in awe.

i agree with orgniz, you sound like a pole partner everyone would want. don't beat yourself up over this. you did something that you aren't happy with or proud of but who, who walks this planet hasn't?

you are a damn good man!

bean

Stinger
08-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Billfoster, you are what makes the brotherhood of lineman. There is no other organization exsisting I am more proud of belonging to then to our brotherhood. Like Organizer said, we have all failed, made a mistake, or let somedown in our lives. I am one of them and I thank God every day for the understanding, foregivness and support from my family, friends and brothers that never lost faith in me.